People that use flush pans under crates HELP

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
AndreB57
Power User
Power User

People that use flush pans under crates HELP

Post by AndreB57 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:39 pm

I have 5x7 crates and I want to get flush pans so I do not have to scrape under them. Right now I just have the woven wire under them and it goes onto a concrete slab. Can I buy 5x7 flush pans and use the same crate decks, or do I need to buy frames that go with the flush pans. I guess what I'm asking is if the flush pans are universal to all 5x7 crates. And how are they connected to the crates. thanks for any info you can provide me with.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: People that use flush pans under crates HELP

Post by buckibri » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Purchased flush pans years ago.

Best day of my pig life was when I decided that idea was bad and tore them out and have been been pulling crap from under crates ever since.

Hope I have saved you money and wasted labor. No commission expected.

AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Post by AndreB57 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm

So, what you are saying is not to get them and scraping the floor is less of a hassle?

Just making sure I'm reading your sarcasm correctly.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Yep.

apalizay8
Power User
Power User

Post by apalizay8 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Don't have experience with flush pans but what we have is raised crates with a pitched floor towards a gutter behind the crates. It keeps everything dry with the pitch to the gutter and scraping the crates is a very easy for us so I have never seen the benefit in the flush pans.

I also know a few people who have used them and quickly removed them and never gone back to them.

dtdkt

Post by dtdkt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 am

We set up and take down our crates every year due to needed space. We have always used flush pans under the crates. last year I did not put one under 1 crate and it was more of a pain and mess to cleaning up for us. Using the flush pans allowed us to it the stuff away for the barn.

valmcb

Post by valmcb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:27 pm

We are newbies but last year with our 1st litters we didnt have flush pans and just scraped it out daily. We purchased flush pans and used them with these last litters and will never go back!!! Attached the drains to a long flexible hose and had those hose ran out a ways where it just flushed out downhill at our place. Every couple days open the drain and hose it out a bit.