Draminski readings

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
SwineGuy89
Power User
Power User

Draminski readings

Post by SwineGuy89 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 pm

My gilt is in, thr first day her readings went 350,320, no number second day as she would not let me insert probe? 8 oclock last night she was 160, i checked her at 9 oclock this mprning and she she was 220 both times i checked her, i went back 3 hours later just to check if there might be any increase in jumber suggesting a spike and itd was 190 and 200 and 200 all three times, so am i correct in waiting. And not dosing as i was going to? And what time frame do i have until she will most likely spike?
It's not all about being the heaviest muscled hog, Its about balance.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Re: Draminski readings

Post by Delangworthy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Yes you are correct to wait. 190-220 are her low numbers. she will spike tonight or in the morning. She should spike 260-280. Give her dose and another dose 12-18 hours later. She may be 300+ on second dose and may not want it.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Rway » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Semi correct as I understand it. Once they bottom out say 150 or lower, then they start to rise with the Draminski numbers, which as I understand it correlates with ovulation. So thus due to the length of time that semen can last in the track if you hit them with a dose at the bottom or low number you should be good. I generally hit them with a second dose about 12 hours later. (GIlts) Generally this procedure works every time for me unless the semen was not good, or the gilt has issues. Note I say gilt, because sows are fertile over a longer period of time. The experts here could maybe give us a better idea of how best to fertilize them. My guess would be hit them with a dose at the low point- right before the rise and again 24 hours later. The only time I missed last year was a gilt that was not cycling. I gave her PG600 wait a cycle and she quit cycling and had to be restarted again. I honestly do not know why she stopped - but the Draminski would show 350 over two weeks, with no up or down movement. Thus the same you would see as if she was pregnant (or higher number) She had a litter this summer for me. So she did breed. She will be rebred here in a few days.
So in watching or charting numbers if you see 350, 340, 300, 280, 220, 150, 200, 300, 360, 400, Over multiple days you would want to dose them on the 150 reading, Thus charting is very important. I have a Poland that is 170 this evening, that I know will bottom out and be standing tomorrow or maybe late tonight through tomorrow.
Obviously there are many people who are good at reading signs, but I have had a few gilts and sows, that don't show signs real well, and this and a boar have been wonderful tools. Saved me from wasting a lot of semen.
Ed

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 am

Rway that probably explains why I only get one dose most of the time. I breed on the spike. They typically don't want the 2nd dose. I am going to change tactics and see if that helps and improves litter size also. My sows went 5,7 and 8.