First Timer--Contractions that stopped

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
suzq19

First Timer--Contractions that stopped

Post by suzq19 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:17 am

I have two pregnant potbelly gilts who were pregnant when I got them, so I don't know their due dates. They're both showing signs of imminent farrowing.

Gilt #1 made her nest and two nights ago (11-1) had some significant contractions--she was lifting her back legs during and breathing heavily. This happened for a couple of hours, then nothing. Her vulva is somewhat, but not overly swollen. No discharge. Yesterday, she was active and showed only slight contractions and only sporadically. Last night, slept calmly in her nest, no contractions. Today is the same, except her vulva seems less swollen than before.

Gilt #2 is nesting some, she's gnawing on the edges of her farrowing area, her belly is bulging and her vulva is reddening and swelling. She has had some "hiccup" type movements in her abdomen, which I think are contractions, but these are inconsistent.

Questions:
1. Should I worry that #1 had contractions and seemed to be in labor, but now doesn't seem to be?
2. We're regularly monitoring them both, checking their teets (no milk yet), etc., but should we be doing anything else for them?
3. Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!