What happened???????

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Becker

What happened???????

Post by Becker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm

I have a registered York that came from a high end show breeder in ohio. She's had 2 previous litters of 10+ piglets with no issues. This time I AI'ed her to a very high dollar boar and everything was going great. She progressed well and was due last Thursday. On Tuesday of last week her milk came in and could easily be stripped from her teat and would spray clear across the barn. Also on Tuesday I noticed she had a lot of bloody thick mucus coming out of her vulva that she would eat when she stood up. On Wed her teats were smaller and I noticed the discharge from her vulva was still thick and bloody and had a bad smell. I consulted my vet and breeder and was instructed to wait another day and see what happened. On Thursday she looked 50 pounds lighter and her teats were totally dry and looked like she had never even been pregnant. She never lost her appetite, never acted like she was in labor, at no time did she ever act like she was in pain or anything at all. She always jumped right up when I was in the barn and was always ready to eat. I'm so confused on what happened, there is no sign of and pieces or parts anywhere in the pen and she did amazing with her last 2 litters. Do you think she ate them all and left no trace? Should I call CSI Ohio??? :shock: :lol:

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: What happened???????

Post by HogDoc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 am

Send in some of your corn and test for zearalenone. I'll bet you find the culprit.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

Becker

Post by Becker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I just read about it and it sounds spot on. Where do I send the corn sample? Thank you!!

Becker

Post by Becker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 am

If it is zearalenone can I treat it, Or is there a way to kill it in the corn? I did some research, but it just keeps saying it's unavoidable and can't be practically treated.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Accurate sampling for toxins in grain is relatively expensive plus keep in mind you are sending in a tiny sample of grain as opposed to the volume you feed. Less expensive with limited accuracy exist.

Several labs exist for this, last time I needed I used Iowa state lab.

Curious your location?

Becker

Post by Becker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm in Newark ohio. Thanks!

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Very very light potential for ear molds in your area.

2016 crop had moderate potential for ear molds. We saw more gib than Fusarium in 2016 but was far from epidemic levels in your area.

Based off that I would question the expense of mycotoxin testing. You may look for other causes via your local vet. Lepto, PRRS cone to mind.