Gilt has had milk for 48 hours?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
swinechamp
Power User
Power User

Gilt has had milk for 48 hours?

Post by swinechamp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

I’ve got a gilt who was due yesterday and has had good milk for the past 24 hours. My concern is she has only a slight bit of swelling and hasn’t passed any fluids yet. She seemed to be pushing last night but nothing happened. She’s still got a good appetite and doesn’t seem to be in pain should I try giving a shot of lute? Any advice is welcomed never had something like this before

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Re: Gilt has had milk for 48 hours?

Post by BerkBabe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 pm

I don't think it's uncommon for pigs to go over their due dates by a day or so. If it were my pig, I would leave her be for another day or two and keep an eye on her. She may not be quite ready yet.

Is she presenting any nesting behavior at all?

If you crate farrow, maybe try letting her out and walk her around a bit as well.

If she starts pushing a lot and kicks her legs while pushing with no progression, then you might want to go in and check her. Be careful about checking too frequently as well, as that could cause her to swell.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

swinechamp
Power User
Power User

Re: Gilt has had milk for 48 hours?

Post by swinechamp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm

She just started trying to nest this morning. I haven’t tried letting her out to walk around hopefully that gets things moving along. I was just worried that if she’s had milk for 2 days something was wrong.