Questions on boar with one testicle

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Showgirl123

Questions on boar with one testicle

Post by Showgirl123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm

I have a young boar pig in the barn, three weeks old today. When we were castrating others two days ago, this particular pig only had one descended testicle. While I certainly understand it is not desirable to keep a boar in tact for breeding purposes with these issues, I am weighing my options at this point as my veterinary hospital wants $300 plus to locate the other testicle and castrate him. I ship semen and AI everything for my show pig litters so this guy would only be used as a teaser boar plus a litter or two of pigs to fill butcher pig orders in the off season. My questions are 1) Would this boar show all of the boar traits such as vocalizing, frothing, etc. that would make him a useful teaser? 2) Would he be able to breed successfully with just one obvious testicle? 3) Would I likely see a higher than normal percentage of pigs sired by him that have retained testicles? Again, I am not looking at producing show pigs with such a boar, we are talking 1 or 2 litters of pigs to fill butcher orders.

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Re: Questions on boar with one testicle

Post by BerkBabe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

We had a boar with an undescended testicle. He still vocalized, frothed, and did the job with the 2 gilts that we put in with him. The males from those litters did not have any issues with undescended testicles. However, in my research on the subject, it is an inheritable trait. That boar was a great pig, but we ended up culling him because of it. If you choose to keep yours, keep in mind that you may find some males from his litters with that issue so you'd be right back to where you are now.