Estromate VS Lutalyse

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Risingstargenetics

Estromate VS Lutalyse

Post by Risingstargenetics » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Have a gilt that has had silent heats even with a boar present. Would like to try and get a "stronger" heat cycle so I can order semen accordingly. Our vet doesn't carry Lute anymore, just Estromate. Any suggestions?

zachqhooker

Re: Estromate VS Lutalyse

Post by zachqhooker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:33 am

Not quite sure what you’re asking, but if you are wanting to know the difference, they’re essentially the same thing. Both are synthetic prostaglandins, the only difference is going to be oil based vs water based. In terms of your “silent heat” issue, I’m not buying it. If she’s too young, she may not be cycling yet, but if she’s an older gilt, she could be not cycling anymore (temporarily), or (the most likely option) if you know she is sexually mature, you are just missing her heats. I’m not sure whether you have the boar present all the time, but that will do it. Since the majority of natural breedings take place at night or in the early morning, that’s when she would be exhibiting standing signs (even if the boar is a few pens over). Honestly to find out where she’s at, you will have to pen her far from the boar, and consistently check her every 12 hours. With the boar or with boar spray and back pressure. Also pay attention to changes in the vulva (swelling, discharge,etc), no matter how slight.
IF all else fails, here’s what we do for artificial cycle changes:
1) Matrix for 13 days.
2) If you have access to pg-600, you can either follow the label on pg-600 or give a cocktail 3 cc lute ; 2 cc pg600. Should cycle 3-7 days after. However I would wait another heat after that before you breed her. We’ve seen low litter numbers after artificially changing their heat cycle. Best of luck!

Risingstargenetics

Re: Estromate VS Lutalyse

Post by Risingstargenetics » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 pm

She is actually being housed with a proven boar, and absolutely will not stand. Ever. Did the Pg 600 route. Got a way more noticeable heat. Waiting to see if she settled, if not she has a ship date.