Commercial semen

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
rescross11lbfair
Power User
Power User

Commercial semen

Post by rescross11lbfair » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:23 pm

So I have a question I've been breeding showpigs for the last 10 years but I just took a job on a more commercial style farm with roughly 300 sows with capabilities of 600 sows I know that's small compared to what you guys call commercial in the Midwest I eventually want to work on having there own boars for collecting and to have semen on hand but right now this farm has only been natural breeding and all there boars are very old and mature and there having trouble getting all there replacement gilts bred for that reason I told them we need to start getting into AI and start getting some new bloodlines but do any of you guys know of farms who offer commercial semen? Or any studs that still have breed specific or something like that I know there used to be a few studs like LVS that used to do breed specific to get cheaper semen prices but not sure if they still do that? Do you guys have any suggestions until I can get some new boars and start collecting ourselves? Thanks
here at bayer necessity genetics our goal is making pigs right and helping our customers to the best of our ability