Inducing gilts? Current protocol

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Ericka
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Inducing gilts? Current protocol

Post by Ericka » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I have a gilt due on the 19th. I would like to induce her in hopes of avoiding delivery issues. She is a smaller framed gilt. I have not induced since 2004 and wanted to know the current protocol. All I have at this time is Lute. I have been seeing that people are using Estrumate now but in this short of time I can not get it. How would I use Lute this one time? Any help is appreciated. Would also like Estrumate protocol.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Inducing gilts? Current protocol

Post by HogDoc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 am

This is one of those topics I hate answering because folks seem to get pretty bent out of shape over it.

Overall I would say we are inducing less than we used to and later. The upside of inducing is more supervised farrowings during the day and the downside is reduced pig performance compared to natural gestation length. For most gilts I don't induce until day 115 to reduce low viability pigs and better pig performance. Your pig may be a candidate for earlier induction to help manage the potential difficult farrowing.

You can use either Lutalyse and Estrumate. Estrumate is extra label and lutalyse is labelled for pigs. The doses are different. Lutalyse is 2 ml and Estrumate 3/4 ml. The reason that folks like Estrumate is the animals tend to exhibit less exaggerated nesting behavior and caretakers perceive that as being "easier" on the pig. They will start farrowing on average 30 hours after a dose of either.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

Ericka
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Ericka » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

So only one shot? I have not been a believer of forcing nature but maybe in these smaller gilts inducing them their 1st time might not be a bad thing. I have asked around about Estrumate and everyone has give me dosage of 1 cc up to 1.5 cc. Does that increased amount do the exact same as the 3/4 you recommended? Maybe having to give so much more lute is the reason why the react so much. I would like to have a daytime delivery as well so I guess that means I need to give the shot sometime this morning.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 am

Since it's extra label follow the dose your veterinarian puts on the bottle.

A second shot is where folks really get fired up. I still give 1/4 ml of oxytocin in the morning at 24 hours. It tightens the window of farrowing start and gets more pigs born during the day. We don't measure any difference in any other performance parameter including farrowing assist rate but follow your veterinarian's advice on that second shot.There is no reason to give a second dose of prostaglandin.

I think the reason for the decrease in nesting behavior has more to do with the different prostaglandin molecules than the dose.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo