Draminski help

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Draminski help

Post by abelkrista » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:44 am

WE need to AI in the next cycle and have been struggling with our gilt whom is a hard one to detect estres in. I just discovered the draminski tool a few days ago and ordered. I believe we are coming out of a cycle. Last cycle she got really chatty and began swelling then continued to swell for 7 days with the latter few days being very swollen and pink/red. No standing/popping or increased mucosal production detected. So this estres she again began swelling last Saturday and has shown no other signs. I received my draminski Tuesday night and got a read of 500. Wednesday am her vulva had really ballooned again 370 was my am reading (but I had difficulty getting it to slide very far in ) 4 hours later I retook on lunch break and go 440. This am got a 500 again. I believe my first reading was the end of ovulation on the upswing and will continue to take daily for a few days then every other day until I get close again...My plan is to AI at drop and again 12 hours later (unfortunately I will have to guess at the bottom of where the drop is) I am also wondering if I should order a 3rd dose and hit her 3 times because of this.

My question is is there a trick to help with ease of insertion? without lubricant it is just so resistant and I fear causing tissue trauma to skin that is not primed to stretch at this point? The first night I was able to get in the probe in past the two metal bands but not as far as the instructions seem to think I should and could do my turns. The next morning I could barely get the bands past her vulva lips and turning was so difficult and uncomfortable for her. The 2nd read that day was a bit easier then the 3rd this am again was very difficult barely past swollen lips and turning really wasn't an option at all and it was very uncomfortable again.

Any addition pearls are very welcome and appreciated!!

ukiahswine

Re: Draminski help

Post by ukiahswine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 pm

gilts are tough to probe at times! i have used a small amount of A.I. lube and it didnt seem to effect readings. the one thing that effects readings is not having it in far enough it needs to be on the cervix and make sure its in the same distance every time or you will get false readings. with gilts it seems you need to be at least 4 inches deep. but that can change from animal to animal.

abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Post by abelkrista » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Thank you! I seem to do better at night than in Mornings. She is now throwing a new loop at me with mucous/drainage and standing for my daughter today and more swelling than she's ever had before. She's also a bit crazy tonight. She was born in January she's way too old but now I'm wondering if she's never had a full heat I don't know. So will continue to measure. My next question is where do I start counting my 18 to 21 days is day one when she stands and then 18 to 21 days later she should stand again or is day one after she quit standing, and or her numbers fall back to normal range?

ukiahswine

Post by ukiahswine » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes day one is when she stands. If she stands on a Monday and she has a true 21day cycle like most pigs have she will be standing in three weeks on a Monday. Now with that said I’ve had them short cycle before and stand on a Saturday or Sunday!!! So it’s best to start checking 3 days before they are scheduled to stand.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm

I've used these suckers for years.

A few thots here.

I would not be testing her multiple times. Going/out could set her up for an infection and that's all you need.

500---she is far from getting ready to ovulate. Try again in 5-7 days later.
Same distance is important. Gilts first time you might have a little pop as you get through the hymen using consistent pressure, but then you should have no issue with slidding it on up in there. I also turn 180 degrees one side to the next as I am introducing the rod...it doesn't seem to hang up on the tissue and track as much.
Then when you are up in there to where it stops you...turn 180 side to side and push the button, do that again, then do that again, then pull out and the probe will give you the average of the numbers obtained. Do this quickly. I usually say to myself while rotating my hand side to side...."1,2,3 click", then again and then again and then out.

I would do daily checks when she drops to 200's and when you get a sudden jump, then you breed and then I breed about 18 hrs later. Semen is good for 24 hrs and gives you a 6 hour overlap and 6 hours more at the end.

The other thing...and i'm just thinking...try to give her a shot of PG 600 when she is 500's. In about 5 days after the shot she should be cycling so check her on day 3,5,7 to try to catch the drop and then figure how many days until she jumps with her numbers. Then 21 days later...be ready to breed...day 18 check her numbers,20, etc based on her performannce with PG600 the previous cycle.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.