Has anybody seen this?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
NexGen
Power User
Power User

Has anybody seen this?

Post by NexGen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

In the attempts of helping castrate for a friend, I found one testicle of the pig where it should be and the other sucked up halfway up the belly. The testicle can be seen... almost looking like a hernia but in the wrong place.Needless to say I didn’t do anything and will need vet assistances for sure. Anybody experience this?

nycountryboy

Re: Has anybody seen this?

Post by nycountryboy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 am

last week we castrated, 4 piglets from the same litter where as you discribe

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Post by BerkBabe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 pm

We had one like that last year. My vet does my castrations, and she didn't want to castrate it in fear of having issues with the intestines. We let the piglet grow to about 4 weeks or so, and then took it in to give to a friend that likes suckling pig.

I'd be curious to know if someone could successfully castrate a pig with that issue without having to take it into a vet hospital for a more involved procedure.

dingdar
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by dingdar » Tue May 07, 2019 9:27 pm

Yup I’ve done it, I failed...it was dead the next AM. Not sure why for sure. I even sewed up the hole I created.

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Wed May 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Yes, I have successfully castrated pigs with this issue. It's a little harder but can be done without special equipment. Need to watch for hernias as well. You can stitch the hernias closed if needed. I would think a vet would have no issue doing this procedure.
Brian