Sow over due

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Jenbritkim123

Sow over due

Post by Jenbritkim123 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:20 pm

We have a sow on her 5th litter just delivered 11babies July 2018. She was Ai on oct 6&7 of 2018. So puts her at day 117. Has had one drop of milk out of one teat on the 29th and a few others had a clear drop but nothing since. She hasn’t bagged up but again it’s hard to see cause of her teats have been very saggy from litters before hand. The teats do look more cone shape then before..she looked dialatated but it’s hard to tell cause of how many litter she has had now it’s more swollen and smaller then long and opened. We have not had this problem before. We induce 27 hrs ago in vulva with Estrumate she is having little contractions that you can see but nothing else no milk little discharge just on surface any help would be great

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Re: Sow over due

Post by BerkBabe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 pm

I don't think it's uncommon for pigs to be late. I've had several times when a sow delivered a few days overdue. It's nerve-racking with the anticipation.

I've never induced so I don't have any tips for that specifically. Sometimes getting the sow up and to walk around will help. As long as the sow isn't actively pushing without producing any piglets, I let it be. My two cents is that I'd probably give her more time.

Jenbritkim123

Post by Jenbritkim123 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:42 am

So we induce ove 44 hrs ago and nothing yet. She seems to have babies inside you can feel them. None are stuck. Can we induce again?

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Hormone does not work 100% of the time.

Had a gilt that went 118 days before dropping 13 4# pigs, I had given her 2 cc Lut starting on the PM of day 114 and folllowed up with 2 cc each of the next two days. Her mother does not respond either to hormones.

Jenbritkim123

Post by Jenbritkim123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Well nothing she is up walking around still contacting from medication after second induction. The thing that changed is she is now closed can’t get up in there to feel anything. I’m thinking we just had a false pregnancy