Lutalyse or not

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Bigwhiskey

Lutalyse or not

Post by Bigwhiskey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I have been reading about showpig producers using Lutalyse on the "due date". What happens if given too early? I have never had a reason to use it, just curious on why. Thanks.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Lutalyse or not

Post by buckibri » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Pigs born even slightly premature can have reduced survival.

swi
Power User
Power User

Post by swi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Lut has been used by commercial producers for a long time to farrow when the paid help is around.
I am not one to overuse meds, but I have used lut more and more. My reason is to prevent sows from going over due date and pigs getting bigger and bigger then having farrowing issues. I luted all 8 of my sows/gilts this year for their due date. Farrowed any where from 20 to 32 hours later. I would be lying to say I didn't have any farrowing problems, but compared to other years, significantly fewer. Be totally sure of your due dates.

Teddyballgame047
Power User
Power User

Post by Teddyballgame047 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm

We usually try to have our due dates on the weekend. Last year we had one that was going to farrow on a monday so we gave her lute to deliver on sunday, day 113 so that we could be there to help with delivery. She has 13 piglets all alive and healthy. Other than one being layed on everyone was healthy.