Sow won't stand

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Sow won't stand

Post by LazyRYhogs » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:00 am

I have a 2rd parity sow that is cycling, swelling, good mucus, draminski number match physical signs. Text book..except she WON'T stand or lock up. She bred to my boar last year easy. This year, no way. The boar has been doing his end. Romancing at fence line then when let in with her he is nudging and slobbering before trying to mount. They are nearly the same size. She is sound no issues with that. She won't stand for me either, even with the boar at fence line. Any ideas? Please help. This was a great match up. Purple ribbons and final drives at summer fairs.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Sow won't stand

Post by buckibri » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Axe body spray is supposed to help hormonally charged teens so you may try that.

Honestly, sows need to want to stand. Sounds like you have a good teaser boar so you are doing your part. You can try forcing the semen in as a last resort with the boar present.

LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Post by LazyRYhogs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks for the idea. I really want this match again. What are your thoughts on beer? I have one sow that is cranky with her babies the 1st dew days. She savaged most of her 2nd litter. 4 beers twice a day for first 4 days and she is now parity 6.
Beer seams to work for humans. 🤣
Thoughts?

craiglibby
Power User
Power User

Post by craiglibby » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 am

We've had a couple sows and gilts in the past that wouldn't stand as well. All other signs were there, indicating that the timing was perfect, but they just wouldn't stand and lock up. Anytime we've run up against this, as long as we were confident the timing was right, we would simply feed and breed. Put some food down for her, and breed her while she eats. We've never missed. It is imperative though that you know your girls and know when they should be in heat. Watch for all of the physical signs that say it's time. As long as those are there, you should be fine.

LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Post by LazyRYhogs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Well...i really wanted to get her live covered by my boar. This years judge like this pairing alot. I ended up collecting him and getting some spot semen. Feed to breed. She caught!. We will know by color who the sire is.

LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Post by LazyRYhogs » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Update: she had 9 beautiful pigs from the semen i collected from my boar when she would let him enter.