Help with. Dex dose and amount per site retained placenta

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Help with. Dex dose and amount per site retained placenta

Post by abelkrista » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Is 10vc the correct in dose of dex? And do I need to split the dose? IM or is SQ OK too.
Hogdocs blog has disappeared.
Had a sow go into labor at 116 days. Prior had 11 alive no help. She Failed to progress. Sleeved her and pulled a live pig with 4 splayed feet or deformed fronts and backs (looked like a seal and back legs with bottom joints malformed and a parrot jaw/mouth). Not that big 3 to 4 pounds. Stopped laboring and vet pulled 3 more 4 to 4.5 pounds each. Then nothing. Gave 1ml oxy sleeved again and nothing followed by 2 more. 0.5 cc doses and got 2 pieces of placenta (the long and stringy ones) and a small 3 inch diameter round piece. Positive the big round piece still in there. Gave oxy again this afternoon.1.5ml pee vet and will try to get dex in her but she is hard to give injections to as she breaks needles and bends them. (have slap shot, a good gun etc. Nothing works welI) don't suppose oral dex (iv form) wouls be effective? Also started sulfa/trimothropin oral. Eating and drinking pooping no fever but extremely swollen and discharge is still thin creamy brownish, bloody and serous. I am sure we have a retained pig but just trying to get body to a point that it can pass it

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Help with. Dex dose and amount per site retained placenta

Post by HogDoc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:17 pm

We did have to move the blog and we're going to move it again in the near future so the best way to get to it is through our website. TrueNorthFeed.com
As far as the dose of dexamethasone for this kind of specific issue I use a fairly high dose of 20 mg one or at most twice. The number of ml depends if you have 2 mg/ml or 4 mg/ml. I would not put more than 5 ml in any single site.
As an aside, I don't come around to the forum very often and usually only when someone happens to tell me i should. All our customers have access to my personal cell number and a text is the best way to ask me something. I'll always answer. I even did when I was in the middle of chemo.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Post by abelkrista » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks HogDoc! We have our animals on True Guardian or Glo depending on their current needs. I did find the new blog. I will check to see if
I can find your cell on your site (never looked for it before).

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:18 pm

My number is on a card that's supposed to go out with each order. I'm not quite brave enough to publish it on the web.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo