Managing Size of Piglets

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
bolinger9

Managing Size of Piglets

Post by bolinger9 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:23 am

I was curious what tips people had to manage the size of baby pigs. We just lost an entire litter on a first time gilt because the pigs were too big and she could not push them through the birth canal. I induced her two days before she hit her due date, but she still couldn't push them out. We were able to pull a few of them, but eventually the gilt/sow lost the motivation to even get them to the birth canal.

I know sows have a lot less issues once they have had their first litter, but we are mostly breeding gilts from the prior fair season. I know in cattle they have heifer bulls designed to produce smaller calves for easier production. Not sure if there was anything similar in pigs or if anyone had any thoughts. Farrowing gilts is always a tricky process and quite frustrating.

spwrlftr@aol.com

Re: Managing Size of Piglets

Post by spwrlftr@aol.com » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 pm

I’ve had same issue this year. I had 5 bred gilts, 4 are about 13-14 months old at farrow, the last a little over 18 months. Lost one litter same reason. And I waited too long to call the vet. Loss 4 beautiful spots. My second was my 18 month old duroc. I got four out in a 4 hour span. She gave up and I called the vet at midnight to do a c section. My third was a cross. I didn’t wait near as long, and my 8 year old couldn’t get a hold of their heads to pull out. Another c section. I’ve scheduled the last two. C sections. Disheartening is an understatement.

Hllbllyjhn

Post by Hllbllyjhn » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 pm

One thing to consider is how much you are feeding the pregnant gilt. We only feed 4lbs a day unless it is cold then feed 5lbs. If the gilt is fed to much the babies will grow to big.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am

I am always sad to read these type of words from people but its the reality of the ridiculous selection pressure on show pig females away from basic fundamental reproductive traits. Size, bone density, rump structure all need to change dramatically of this will continue.

Yes, controlling feed intake the last 30 days of pregnancy can help. In my experience you can feed no more than 3# per day to achieve smaller pig size.

Congrats to the man that posted about his c sections, these are not cheap but you are being humane with your animals. i have paid for a few of these myself. Many just accept this and use radical means to remove pigs and cross foster or artificially milk feed.

If you wish better reproductive genetics without blowing up frame size drop me a PM. I'll be happy to send you some pictures of pig size my gilts can push out live. Have some Cross x Hamp gilts still available from winter litters from this winters litters. Feb 11 litter has some very competitive show pig gilts from a litter of 10 born, 10 weaned, zero additional milk. 2nd litter sow, had had every pig herself and weaned 100% what she farrowed.

Showgirl123

Post by Showgirl123 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm

When breeding gilts, a lot of things can come into play when it comes down to their ability to farrow without huge complications. Feed intake, litter size, body structure, and BOAR SELECTION. I don't think enough people in the show pig industry give boar selection on gilts the importance that they should. I always ask about the size of piglets a boar produces (because some just produce half grown pigs at birth!).....not only do I ask boar stud personnel, but I also chat with those who have used the boar if at all possible.