How do I??

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Ok she started milking she has about 3 drops form each teat, she is very restless, i cant keep her in the crate. She keeps getting out and its hard to find a hog in the dark. Can I give her Ace to calm her down?? I use it for cattle, but didnt know if it would work for pigs

Darin
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Darin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Average time after the first lut. shot is 30 hours. Perineum is the fleshy area between the vulva and anus.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
- Ayn Rand

http://www.kuhlowgirls.com
http://www.cerdosllc.com

Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:31 pm

So do I Stick the whole 3/4 inch needle straight in or what??? Sorry for all the questions

Darin
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Darin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Yes, and questions are what we do here! :)
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
- Ayn Rand

http://www.kuhlowgirls.com
http://www.cerdosllc.com

Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Well she finally started at about 10am and finished by about 1pm, she had 8 but one was dead.

But 2 more question, ok well noramlly they have 2 puddles of after birth, one from each canal, but she had 3, so might two of them been from the beggining, and one from the last of one canal, and then one more still be in there??
And when can you normally start to tell a good one from a great one?? Thanks a lot, I will try to get pictures

jandcshowhogs

Post by jandcshowhogs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:38 pm

glade to hear she had them . just for though , i give all new born iron shot's at two days old and clip there milking teeth notch the ears and clip there tail. have fun with them they grow up fast LOL
J&C Showhogs
John&Cathe Brooks
Crawford,Texas
(254)486-0206 Home
(254)723-8055 Cell
Hamps,Crosses,yorks,Duroc's

Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 pm

I was planning on give them Iron shots, but wiht no iron being made right now my vet said to give them human iron pills, so I was going to crush them up and put them in some milk replacer and give it to them. I am goign to notch teeth tomarrow, and and I was going to notch there ears at about 3 days, and castrate at 4 days

But I didn't know how short I should cut them?????

I also had one get her hind in stepped on, by the sow, she was on about 4-6 inches of wood chips, and the sow was probally on her for about 5 seconds before I got her to move her foot. and I didnt know if I should have it x-rayed or have the vet check it out to see if it has internal bleeding or something. she was walking on fine, but it kind of look like the back of her back(if that makes since) is a little weird.

Also how long before they get out of the ugly stage?

Thanks a lot

jandcshowhogs

Post by jandcshowhogs » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 am

it will take about a week for them to get up and going .(i cut about 1inch off the tail) you can get the injectable iron from any tractor supply store .
J&C Showhogs
John&Cathe Brooks
Crawford,Texas
(254)486-0206 Home
(254)723-8055 Cell
Hamps,Crosses,yorks,Duroc's

Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 am

jandcshowhogs wrote:it will take about a week for them to get up and going .(i cut about 1inch off the tail) you can get the injectable iron from any tractor supply store .
We dont have any Tractor supplys. Last night the pig that got stepped on was up and fighting for a teat, so I think she will be fine. However, I noticed that some had hair on their necks and some didnt, is that bad??

thanks a lot

OhioPig

Post by OhioPig » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Great to hear she farrowed.