Need help on Breeding Sow

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
vtmaplegal
Power User
Power User

Need help on Breeding Sow

Post by vtmaplegal » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:17 pm

I am new to the pig world, and have a sow whom is 8-9 months old that i am looking to breed. I am having a hard time finding a boar in my area that is at a farm i would consider sending my pig to, so i am thinking about doing A.I on her. She seems to be showing signs of heat about every 3 weeks (swollen & red). Can anyone give me any tips to make sure she is in heat, and im doing things right.

Ummm
Power User
Power User

Post by Ummm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

OK well next time when you think she is coming into heat, you need to see how long she is in heat, and how long she is in standing heat. In order to see if she is in standing heat put pressure on her back if she is in standing heat she will lock up and wont move.

vtmaplegal
Power User
Power User

Post by vtmaplegal » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 am

She seems swollen for about 2-3 days. I have seen her in standing heat for about a day, but its hard to say for sure because i only do the night chorse.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 am

Go to: http://extension.usu.edu/htm/publications
Click on the link for swine. There are four publications on swine artificial insemination for beginners. They cover boar selection, heat detection, ordering and caring for semen, and the insemination process.
Hope this helps.

vtmaplegal
Power User
Power User

Post by vtmaplegal » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks! I'll Check it out!