Breeding help

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
PiggyBank

Breeding help

Post by PiggyBank » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 pm

I have a gilt that was due to come into heat last Thursday but never did. We've been checking her every day and still nothing. On Jan 17 two heat cycles from the one she was due for on Thursday we put her in with the boar keep her with him for about 2 days. Her heat cycle after that the one before Thursday(Feb5) she came into heat. Now her current heat cycle(Feb22) she does this to us could she have took and just showed signs of a false heat( heat cycle on the 5 could have been a false heat?) Don?t know what to do any help would be appreciated Thank you.

P.S can pigs skip heat cycles?

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:58 am

It's certainly possible that she skipped a cycle. As I said in a previous post, that has happened to me (more than once) after I ordered expensive semen in advance.
Did you put her with the boar during this last skipped heat? Sometimes animals cycle without showing signs (silent heat). In that case she probably would have stood for the boar even though there were no other visible signs of heat.
Do you know a vet or breeder who might be able to preg test her?

PiggyBank

Post by PiggyBank » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:10 pm

No I did not put her in with the boar this last heat cycle. We ordered semen to use on her because the heat cycle before this one she came back into heat so we thought the boar didnt do the job.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Preg test her if you can find someone with the proper equipment.
It's possible that she is still cycling on schedule but just didn't show any signs of heat.
I check every animal for signs heat twice a day when I feed, but occasionally one still gets past me. I once learned that a gilt was in heat when I came out to feed and discovered she had jumped two fences to get in with the boar. There were absolutely no physical or behavioral signs prior to that.