Trailer Ride Heat

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
kam
Power User
Power User

Trailer Ride Heat

Post by kam » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 am

I am getting a gilt back that I sold someone (long story, not worth going into) and I want to breed her and was wondering if when I brought her home - its a 2 hour ride - if she would come into heat with a productive enough heat to breed her on. I would love to know. It would save me alot of work watching her every day.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:51 am

If she's already cycling the trailer ride won't do anything. If she's old enough to cycle, but hasn't, then the ride could easily start her.
If you're planning to A.I. her, I'd pick her up on a Friday (or Saturday). If the ride starts her cycling, you should see signs of heat in time to order from Monday's collection.
Some folks like to wait until the second cycle to breed, since gilts sometimes don't shed very many eggs on the first ovulation. However, I have settled several gilts on their first cycle and had normal-sized litters.
Hope this helps.

kam
Power User
Power User

Post by kam » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 pm

She's almost a year old and has been cycling. I just didn't know if I should breed her on that heat or not, but I think I should have time to wait her out for the second heat.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm

If she's already cycling, the trailer ride won't have any effect. She should continue to cycle in either location. Just watch her when you get her home and breed her when you notice that she's in heat.