Hamp boars cancelled pedigrees☹️?

Boar discussion, boar stud events, boar promotion
buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Hamp boars cancelled pedigrees☹️?

Post by buckibri » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Very soon will be ordering hamp semen for some sows and have been hearing that new genetic testing has found several boars that have a pedigree have been found to be counterfeit and have had pedigree cancelled.

I’ll add it’s well past time for the pedigree to mean something.

I’m not confident that I could get the boar list from either the nsr or a boar owner so I’m wondering if anyone who might have some facts on this if they would share.

I don’t want to breed a sow, farrow and sell pigs to a family next year and this come back to haunt me.

If you wish to respond anonymously please send a private message.

Mary-Okie
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Hamp boars cancelled pedigrees☹️?

Post by Mary-Okie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 am

First thing you should do is get your sows tested to make sure they pass. If they don't pass, it won't really matter what Hamp boar you breed them to. I would call the old tried and true Hamp breeders and ask them which boars they have that have passed the test and use those boars on your sows that pass. All the rest, just breed for crossbreds.
Colby Ferguson
Mary-Okie Farm
cferg615@outlook.com

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Very refreshing email received today from the NSR on the issue.

Good idea on sow testing. This will set a limit on how many hamp sows that can be used to make public offered breeding stock.

I only have one generational hamp sow derived from primary showpig boars, my other hamp sows are true pure sows. My frozen semen and pigs sired by hamp boars from the 1990’s might just be more valuable today.

My first pigs from frozen Walridge based semen are just 5 months old. They look like Hamps.

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Looks like most of the current Hamp boars are in the low 90% range.
Brian

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

NSR has recently updated their website with boar information. Check it out if you have not.

This is just fantastic public accountability. ALL BREEDS should do same. Ethics matter to some. Of Us.

Frozen boar I have used is first on the list (Walridge Trump) at 99% pure. Thrilled.

Have boars and gilts available now and will continue to fight the RIGHT fight. PM if interested.

Shortcuts have an inevitable end.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm

What is the acceptable percentage to be considered pure with the Hamp Asso at this time.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Officially to maintain a pedigree the number is 90%.