1st year Showing

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
4x4NCowboy

1st year Showing

Post by 4x4NCowboy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm

This is my 1st year of showing hogs for ffa. Ive had a blue butt barrow for about 2 months and might be showing come the end of february. Does anyone have any tips out there for me.
Well, Git R Dun

LivingtheDream

Show Tips

Post by LivingtheDream » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Hello,

:arrow: I would have to say make sure that your pig is well fed and will be at the correct weight you want him at. It is easier to hold a pig off then push him right before show... usally. If you need to put weight on him.... try bananas. Start early preparing for the show. Make sure you can drive your hog really well.... practice a lot at home. Before you go make sure you have everything that you will need.... wheel barrows, rakes, hoses, brushes, feed, buckets, waterers, soap, rags, show pruducts.... ect. When you get to the show.... weigh in your pig right away because he might loose weight, due to stress. Make sure he is drinking.... try gatorade if he is dehydrated, just pour it in his water. When you wash him make sure that you dont get lots of water in his ears. When you go to show..... know where the judge is at all times. If you are asked to go to a holding pen get there as fast as possible and if you come out SHUT THE GATE. Answer questions with confidence. Adress the judge as mam' or sir. Know ear notches, weight, average daily gain, whats in your feed, and your pig parts. Just practice and be calm but intense when you show.

Hope this really helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

KC
CowGirl