Showmanship!

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
dessie

Showmanship!

Post by dessie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:36 am

im kinda of an experienced showman. ive been in the project for 6 years and every show i look forward to showmanship the most. Ive been to state fairs, sanctioned shows across the state, a few national shows, and of course county fair. every year people tell me that i get better with how i show. i haven't won yet but last show season ive been mentioned by the judge quite a few times. almost every show but national. I need more tips on bein a better showman. i already no the basics like keep calm and eye on the judge type stuff. but for you experinced showman what kinda questions has the judged asked you and what has he made you do? Im 16 and in the intermediate range if that helps at all.

Thanks(:
Different Year
Different Barrow
Same Dream

DW1994
Power User
Power User

Post by DW1994 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:37 pm

If the judge puts his hand on your pigs back when walking by brush off ur pig. IF the judge walks behind u and trys to get u in a situation were u are between the pig and judge go in front of ur pig and do watever it takes to keep the pig between u and the judge. I have one a showmanship doin that before Hope this helped

awlirette
Power User
Power User

Post by awlirette » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:11 pm

When i am in my showmenship class i stay away from the other pigs and people, out of the corners, and in front of the judge but not to close. about 10 feet away. Look like you are having fun instead of having a serious look on your face. Faceual expressions can mean a lot to a judge. The judge may ask questions like what do you feed your pig? Meaning what kind of feed and if your pig gets free feed or gets hand fed. Name the brand and anything extra you give him or mix in his feed. He also may ask questions like how much did your pig coast, whats the breeding, what is the ear notches, ect.. You can also go online and look up showmenship questions and just study some off the internet. And if and when the judge puts you in a pen open and close the gate YOURSELF. When you are coming into the ring make sure you close the gate behind you as well. After the judge places you, go and shake his hand.
hope this hepls and good luck!!
HOG CRAZY!!