Showmanship type?

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
alexander10

Post by alexander10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 am

You can look relaxed bent over. Just because you are bent over doesnt mean you are agressive, it just means it is the way you show, and it is the most comfortable thing for you

showpig55
Power User
Power User

Post by showpig55 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:38 am

try to be more relaxed, the judge and the pig that your drivin will appreciate you being calm and patient. to me its all about having a serious look and good eye contact. if you get to aggressive or are all frazzeled the pig will stress and its kinda annoting for the judge to look at. thats just my thoughts tho.

LonelyAtTheTop
Power User
Power User

Post by LonelyAtTheTop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm

At one of our shows some kids were tapping their hogs in the back legs, ticked the judge right off. He kicked them outta the ring immediately.. then lectured the audience and kids about not touching the hind legs. crazy how judges differ in opinion. I think Winning showmanship is a luck of the draw on that given day and given judge. what one judge likes, others dont. use your best judgement and knowledge and work your heart out, respect fellow showmen in the ring and that shows a true showman! I actually met my husband while showing steers in showmanship...needless to say, he got 1st and i got 2nd, he wont let me live it down to this day..err :) good luck everyone!

showpig55
Power User
Power User

Post by showpig55 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:53 pm

a got another question for you guys about showmanship. when you get pened into your placing pens do you prefer to crouch behind the pig or just stand behind it??

hgoyut2
Power User
Power User

Post by hgoyut2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 pm

i typically bend over and make sure i keep the head up the whole time. but when im doing this i make sure to always keep eye contact. i do use the whip alot but i use very light taps. this way the pig struts around the ring while i drive it

rockB
Power User
Power User

Post by rockB » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Interesting topic. My son has been showing for a few years, and most of the time will get called back for showmanship but hasn't won yet. Last year and this year we've been to more TJLA shows and watched the way they show and win so he has tried to show that way, a more upright posture, more aggressive with the whip but not slapping or beating the pig. At a local progress show we had a showmanship clinic the night before the show. The guy doing the clinic used my son to demonstrate
and applauded him for his ring ediquete, proper clipping, and showing ability. The next day the showmanship judge (not from the clinic) told my son he used his whip too much and stood staight up too much, the kid that won crouched down almost kneeling at times, pointed his whip straight forward, and had his pig clipped to the skin. He said this was one of the best showmen he has seen in along time. As LonelyAtTheTop said
"what one judge likes, others don't"

bittelag

Post by bittelag » Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 am

i think that it really depends on the pig your attitude should match the pig's. for example if your pig is a jumpier type of pig then i wuold be more agressive, but if your pig is a relaxed pig be gentle. if u have a lazy pig that wont move try using a mixture. When he stops moving be agressive but once hes moving relax more! sorry it is a little long!
:D

sbrasher

Post by sbrasher » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 am

I like to be relaxed while still being close to the pig although when you get in the ring with aggressive people sometimes you have to become aggressive in order to really out "show them".
<p class="MsoNormal"><strong><em><span>Shelby</span></em></strong><strong><em><span> Brasher</span></em></strong></p>

hgoyut2
Power User
Power User

Post by hgoyut2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 am

personally i think u need to have a good balance of being aggressive and calm, with a slight edge going to aggressiveness. always keep eye contact and never get cut off