Junior Showmanship Questions

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
HogWildinKS

Junior Showmanship Questions

Post by HogWildinKS » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14 am

What type of questions should a 9 year old be prepared to answer for Junior Showmanship?

We have always practiced the usual ones like: Is your pig a barrow or a gilt? Is a gilt a male or a female? What breed is your pig? Did you hand fed your pig?

Now that he is a bit older, I am going to assume that the judges are going to expect a little more.

Thanks!

Andy_Paul_Pigs

Post by Andy_Paul_Pigs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Well, What I always got my parents to ask me more complex questions like; What type of feed, What percent protien, and other things like that. But, Always be prepared that some judges will ask advanced questions, even to the younger kids. One time, in the 5 or 6th grade, i was asked what was the justation sp? period for a market hog.

HogWildinKS

Post by HogWildinKS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 am

What is the gestational period for a hog?

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:23 pm

They need to have a general idea of their project. Type of feed - example - 18%, 5% Fat, 1.2% Lysine (just pulled those numbers from thin air) but know the feed. The sire and dam. Date of birth on a breeding gilt. Weight. What they like or don't like. What is ideal market weight.

Gestation lenght of a sow is between 114- 117 days. An easy way for younger kids to remember is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days. I have been to shows with my younger brother where the questions are really easy. What's your pigs name and then others where they were asking them the questions above. So it really depends on the judge and the competition around them. I believe most judges enjoy the interaction and to see what the young ones come up with! Its fun to listen to their comments because kids are just too cute when they are young and showing!

We just make sure that we have the basics covered so he can attempt to answer the questions.

HogWildinKS

Post by HogWildinKS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Here are some questions I found, but I don't know the answers:

Why do you dock a pigs tail?
Whast does NSR stand for?
How many nipples should a gilt have?

Any help here?

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 am

Pig tails are docked to stop tail biting in a commercial setting. That is why you don't see alot how pigs with docked tails because they are generally raised in a different enviroment. That is one of those topics that can get very interesting when discussing and is personal preference.

The NSR stands for the National Swine Registery. Their website is www.nationalswine.com. I encourage all kids who show purebred to this website and read about the breeds and how they have evolved. It is great knowledge to have. The NSR houses the Hamp, Duroc, York and Landrace registries. CPS stands for Certified Pedigreed Swine. and their website is www.cpsswine.com I believe and they have the same information available there. I know that the NJSA (National Junior Swine Assoc. through the NSR - sells a really good book that they encourage kids to read to prepare for the skill-a-thon. It is about $20 or so and I believe you can call the office and order one. It has some of the best information for kids and makes sense to them.

Gilts need to have 6 teats (nipples) on each side of their underline with a grand total of at least 12. They need to be evenly spaced with no pen nipples or other problems. If they have more than 6 on a side, that is great! You need atleast 6 on each side to show a registered gilt at any state or national show and local fairs as well (depends on how strict the sifting committee is). This is so they have enough nipples to raise a litter.

Hope this helps!

HogWildinKS

Post by HogWildinKS » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 am

Awesome information!

Everyone in our county acts like they are with the FBI and can't share any information...you are on your own to figure it out.

Thank you so much!

wvpigmom
Power User
Power User

Post by wvpigmom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:48 am

Well, you definitely have a good resource here on Showpig.com.

I completely understand what you're saying about the FBI thing. Our county has a similar situation. HOWEVER, there are folks that are willing to help - you just need to look around. Unfortunately you may need to look outside your own 4-H club or usual circle of friends. Talk to breeders in your area. Our breeder is a great reference for us and our kids are in different clubs.

You can find a wealth of information on this website, but there are other resources as well. Try http://www.thejudgingconnection.com. If I'm not mistaken there are some questions on there posted by some judges. There are also articles you can read for information.

Just learn all you can, and have fun! That's what it's all about.