To shave or not to shave ?

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
johndeere

To shave or not to shave ?

Post by johndeere » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

This is my first year showing a Hamp. In the past I have always showed Yorks. I thought I once seen on the internet that you shouldn't shave a hamp pig, you should use a brick. I can't find it now and am wondering if I should shave it. If so how long before the show should I shave it. If I use a brick or pumice stone would that dull the shine in the hair? Any other advice to make them show off or catch the judges eye more would be appreaciated to. Thanks D.

RHSYORKS
Power User
Power User

Post by RHSYORKS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Ive always used the brick to make the hair lay down better and then I would clip my hogs, it just made it easier for me.

johndeere

Post by johndeere » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 pm

So I should clip my black pig?

mmfarmer

Post by mmfarmer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 pm

I've always clipped my hogs. It helps them look fresh and more presentable. I would use a half inch guard. I've had good luck using hand lotion on my hogs at home when preparing for a show. It has the same effects as baby oil but none of the side effects. Its also cheaper then some of the name brand sprays.

johndeere

Post by johndeere » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 am

Thank both of you for the good advise! It is always and appreciated.

HassMode

clipping eyelashes/ears

Post by HassMode » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Do you clip the eyelashes completely off of the pig? How do you clip the ears?

RHSYORKS
Power User
Power User

Post by RHSYORKS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:49 am

Yes you should clip the eye lashes and the whiskers that grow around the face it makes them look fresher. Sometimes this can be a real pain to do and a lot of the time the easiest way to do it is just snare them and get it done as fast as you can so they dont stress out. The ears we kind of just leave alone if you even barely cut them they always seem to start bleeding like crazy