Any suggjestons for a newbie

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
duroc_kid

Any suggjestons for a newbie

Post by duroc_kid » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Any suggestions for a newbie???
I am ten and just finnished my first 4h project at fair and it was a Boer goat and i am looking foward to showing pigs next year

duroc22
Power User
Power User

Post by duroc22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 pm

What my dad always pounded into my head was feed'm right, treat'm right and they will return the favor and its workin great for me so far.
GOIN SHOWIN!!!!!

duroc_kid

Post by duroc_kid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks!

Mshowpigs
Power User
Power User

Post by Mshowpigs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Start off with a barrow .They are great starter pigs

championdrivegentics
Power User
Power User

Post by championdrivegentics » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 pm

last summer was my last year in 4-h, i showed pigs all ten years, if u plan on continuing to show pigs, then spend a little money and get you a nice gilt to keep back and breed for pigs next year. the above comments where righ, you can buy a super good looking pig and spend a fortune on them but if u dont feed it righ, youve wasted your time, i would buy a nice gilt, feed her righ and take her to show, listen to the judge when he exsplains the good and the bad qualitys of your pig after he places it. then find you a boar that has positives where your gilt has negatives, and buy that i mean if the judge says your gilt needed more rib, then breed to a boar with lots of rib, and your offspring will be better. hope this helps if u have any more questions, just let me know, i love to help kids get started in this industry, also two more tips, id say for being the first time doing this you should buy a hamp, easy to feed, good growers, and they have good traits, also the number one rule of buying a pig is make sure it is sound, if not, find anthor one, cause youll be wasting time and money

duroc_kid

Post by duroc_kid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for the information :D