Hog Showmanship: I really need help!

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
BlueButtgirl

Hog Showmanship: I really need help!

Post by BlueButtgirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:16 pm

This is my first year doing hogs. I got a Blue Butt gilt and started working her about 2 months prior to the fair. About a month before the fair she was show perfect. She was doing semi-circles fine, I didn't have to touch her with my whip hardly, I could keep the whip on my side, and she walked at a nice pace. I know to keep eye contact with the judge, walk about 10-20 ft. away, do semi-circls, diagnols, and walk towards the judge and away when he kneels and follow him if he moves. My brother would pretend to be judge, out ion the yard and I was show ready too. I worked her an hour a day. Today was showmanship and as soon as we entered the pen, she took off. I tried to be calm, walk over to her, look at the judge and get control of her, but then she kept running into bunches of other pigs and hardly paying attention to me at all. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. The best we did was 2 semi-circles and I walked to and from the judge once. I believe I could have done well if my pig had co-operated. Do you have any tips? Our fair has all the kids show at once (by age) so there was a bit of chaos with about 10 hogs doing the same thing mine was (racing around and/or walking very fast and not paying attention to exhibitor). Also, showmanship was about 10- minutes long. By the time I had her settled down, we had to go out. I also think she may be in heat. Thanks!
"I'm a country girl. I want my drinks strong, my cowboy stronger and I know my God is strongest."

Shigbee
Power User
Power User

Re: Hog Showmanship: I really need help!

Post by Shigbee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 pm

I know practice makes perfect, but sometimes an hour is too long. She had so much energy and being in a new environment makes her a little more hyper. Usually the best thing you can do is just grin and bare it. I too have had this happen to my numerous amount of times. It actually happened when showing at OYE, surprisingly enough I came out as top senior swine showman simply because my hog was giving me fits and I still kept my composure and showed her the best I could.

ryleecs

Re: Hog Showmanship: I really need help!

Post by ryleecs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Ok, well I don't wanna brag or anything but I won senior breeding gilt showmanship at the MN State Fair, and I'd say the biggest thing to remember is to smile. When you first walk into the ring with your pig, make eye contact with the judge and smile. Acknowledge his/her presence, and always know where your pig is. Know the positive and negative characteristics about your pig. Try and keep the good side to the judge. One of the things most judges will ask is "what would you change about your pig and/or project?", make sure you know how to respond. Don't get too close to the judge. And PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!!! You don't become perfect over night and you sure won't improve unless you practice! Make sure after the class you shake your compositors hands, this shows a lot about your character. Shake the judge's hand as well and thank them. Take advice from others! Trust me you don't wanna seem like a know it all!!! You won't improve unless you take advice! I always keep a brush in one pocket and a damp rang in the other. If the judge sprinkles shavings on your pig BRUSH it off right away, do not use the rag!!! I also have flashcards with pig info on them that way I can study!!! Stay update on industry news because a judge could ask about new diseases or things like that! Also its a judge's preference whether or not they want you leaning close to you pig... Some judges don't like it because it is kinda over-showing. So by doing it or not doing it, its a chance you take! Good luck in future shows!!
Sincerely, Rylee Schultz!