OJSPA SUMMER TOP TEN BARROWS AND GILTS

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
OJSPA

OJSPA SUMMER TOP TEN BARROWS AND GILTS

Post by OJSPA » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 pm

After much deliberation on how exactly to award the top ten placers for the summer, I have decided to split the sexes and award the kids that exhibited with a top ten in barrows and a top ten in gilts.

The Champion and reserve champion in each division will be recieving a personalized jacket stating they are the top exhibitor of the barrows or gilts. All others will be recieving windshirts. I know some of you were told they would be recieving a tack box for champion and reserve but my sponsor for these pulled out on my last week. What I will need from all contestants is a email with jacket or windshirt size so I can get them finished. JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS. I AM STILL WAITING ON TWO PEOPLE TO PAY THE SILENT AUCTION BILLS FROM THIS SUMMER. AS SOON AS THESE ARE PAID, I WILL SEND OUT THE PRIZES. THERE IS STILL ABOUT $600 FROM THE SEMEN AUCTION OUT.

TOP TEN BARROWS
CHAMPION - HEATHER STOODT - 560 POINTS
RESERVE - MATTHEW EVANS - 420 POINTS
3RD - SARAH BIGGS - 295 POINTS
4TH - TY MCQUIRE - 250 POINTS
5TH - KARA METZ - 210 POINTS
6TH - NICK ROBERTS - 205 POINTS
7TH - SARAH BUTTERFIELD - 180 POINTS
8TH - TIFFANY SNIDER - 160 POINTS
9TH - CODY CLYBURN - 135 POINTS
10TH - CHRISTOPHER NOTT - 120 POINTS

TOP TEN GILTS
CHAMPION - NICK ROBERTS - 660 POINTS
RESERVE - DAN AHRENS - 635 POINTS
3RD - SARAH BIGGS - 545 POINTS
4TH - JEFF ODELL - 385 POINTS
5TH - MATTHEW EVANS - 365 POINTS
6TH - ZACH SWITZER - 300 POINTS
7TH - KARA METZ - 220 POINTS
7TH - DUSTIN KUHLWEIN - 220 POINTS
7TH - JACOB NOTT - 220 POINTS
10TH - CAMERON VAUGHAN - 195 POINTS
10TH - JONATHON CURTIS - 195 POINTS

SHOWMANSHIP PLACINGS WILL BE UP ON TUESDAY.

PLEASE SEND JACKET AND WINDSHIRT SIZES TO dty1099@hotmail.com

Mr Yoder

Post by guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:42 am

Let's change the rules again. DO what you said you were going to do from the start. I hate to play games when the rules change after the events are finished. P.S. Don't tell us you are going to post results when are really aren't. It's getting old. :( :arrow:

queenofthering

I agree

Post by queenofthering » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 pm

I agree with the previous post and I have more to add. I want to know where all of my money went. We were promised this and that and the other-including t shirts that we never saw. We came into this in the beginning on the conception that there would be winners OVERALL. Not in each category. The winners would be quite different. And I would rather have something that said what I placed overall instead of five different things for each category you decided to make up. This is ridiculous. You keep making false promises-and if you need help seek it out. There are plenty of people ready and willing to help you move this along. I never expected this to take this long especially when I saw you in Louisville in JULY you told me that you were almost done with everything, only thing you said you had left to figure out was showmanship. Then 5 MONTHS LATER we see the results. I can not even begin to understand what the hold up was. If you can not take the responsibility of a simple task such keeping up with your word then maybe you should have thought about that before taking on this endeavor.

hogman89

Post by hogman89 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:55 pm

This is Nick's Dad and I say it is time to get over the hostilities. We have a Winter Show Circuit that is just over a month away and we need get focused on that. Let's be good sportsman and move on. :D

brheuff

Post by brheuff » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:09 am

Kudos Hogman, this is not the time or the place for that stuff.

OJSPA

Post by OJSPA » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:30 pm

I have been debating on how exactly to answer the post that was made earlier and here is the best attempt to keep everything from blowing up.

As far as the awards go. Every chairman of the shows came to a meeting in May where I told them all that the champion for each breed would be recognized with a plaque. Ask anyone that was there. I also told them that I was attempting to get a big final overall prize but becasue of the lateness of the requests, I was unable to get anything for this year. So I decided to do something a bit different. Which I guess is my progative.

I have had items lined up for some major sponsors for the 06 year but when the one company that wanted to come in to each show and set up was unable to do that since we are not doing the winter circuiot as a part of the OJSPA, they withdrew the sponsorship taking with it 12 aluminum show boxes.

You want to know where the money is well here it is.

WE started with 0

Membership consisted of 39 members @ $15.00 each this gave us $585. With one donation of $100 from Dan Ahrens and $1680 from the silent auction. WE have a total of $2365. In total money for the season. WE should have had $2200 from the auction but have $600 still outstanding that I can not get collected. We also have had two people that signed up for the auction and said their kids signed up and they did not so they are not paying. Maybe the silent auction was not the best idea but it was something.

Now expenses.

Shirts - 30 x $10 each = $300
Hats - 10 x $12.50 = $125
Visors - 10 x $12.5 = $125
Ad is Primetime Magazine in Spring - $225
Ad in Seedstock Edge - $350
Ad in Livestock Exchange - $150
Copy costs for flyers at sales, entry forms, etc. = $75
Display board, and foam baords for silent auction - $25
Banner for shows - $145
Logo design which I thought was to be donated but since it went on signs, we had to buy it. - $250

Plaques for the breed champions - 8 breeds - Barrow and Gilt = 16 plaques @ $40 each = 640
Blankets for reserve champion breeds - 16 x $20 = $320
Customized showsticks - 50 x $7.00 = $350
Wristbands - 50 x $3.00 = $150
Jackets for Showmanship and Overalls - 16 x $60 = $960
WIndshirts for the 3rd through 5th showmanship and the 3rd through tenth overall - 28 x $30 = $840.

SO where does the rest of the money come from - my pocket. I am taking a big chance that this will succeed by putting up all this money. The problem, I can only pay for a little at a time. Fortunately, the embroidery people are letting me pay a bit at a time so that I can get the awards out. Some people are complaining becasue they have not gotten there things well, I am not mailing items to everyone piece by piece. I want this thing to succeed and I guess if it takes a few thousand dollars out of my pocket to do it, so be it. But I am not going to be the bad guy in all this. Let me ask you all something would you rather see 15 to twenty kids out there with jackets and windshirts or personalized showstick to promote something that I think could be huge or would you want to recognize one person. If so congratulations NIck Roberts becasue he would have won it all. My self, I guess I would like to see it out there. Indiana did not grow without a few stumbling blocks.

In each of your enrollment folders, this past summer, you all recieved sponsorship forms to help promote the group. One person, Dan Ahrens turned in something. Imagine if each person could find only one person to help promote this, at $100 this year, that is an extra $3900. People that I contacted, already gave to the winter circuit and would not be able to do anything now.

I also asked for 10 adults and 5 kids to sign up for the advisory board for next year. I recieved three adults and three kids. So I am still looking for some people.

You will get your materials but I also am not made of money. AS soon as it becomes available, I will get the items to you.

Dwayne

CONCERNED PARENT

Post by CONCERNED PARENT » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 am

you know before you take on the task of running a circuit like this you should have all of your ducks in a row. you should of gotten donations upfront so people could not back out and you know exactly what you have to work with then go from there. so no money comes out of your pocket. i know its hard work but you did not ask anyone for help and we were all under the understsnding you had everything under control. there are probably alot people out there willing to help but from what i seen on how you handle problems and rules,unless theres a board set up and a set of rules in black and white and they apply to everyone then noone is going to help with this. these are kids and kids want their prizes they worked hard for over the summer they dont understand that it takes a little bit of time and money. if they dont receive them in a timely manner do you think they will want to do it again next year? no. so before you start in 2006 circuit you need to get your ducks in a row and set up a board. this has all gotten out of control and i agree with other parents the prizes should have been already delivered by now there has been plenty of time. as parents we spent alot of money participating in this circiut not for our kids to go empty handed after being promised of prizes.

CPSwine

Post by CPSwine » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:40 pm

I know its difficult when things dont work out as planned. BUt what can you do about it? Absolutely nothing. My suggestion would be to calm down and see how things work out. If you dont like how its being ran do it yourself. Its a lot easier to sit back and complain about how things are working that to do it yourself. So I think you should congratulate the man for doing everything he has and stop complaining. And like he said, if everyone wanted it to work as much as he did everything would be done because the funds would be there to do it.
"good pigs are bred, but champions are fed."
Csmith03@calpoly.edu
925-580-2383

pink ladies

summer circuit

Post by pink ladies » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 pm

Dewayne, can you tell us how much money you need to wrap this up. Hopefully we can get everyone together and pitch in so that we all can make this successful. I would like to see all that participated in the summer circuit come together and make this a good experience for all the kids. I know that we had alot of fun and I am looking forward to it again this year.