How to become a Judge

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
Pphazen11

How to become a Judge

Post by Pphazen11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm 17 and from Ohio. I was just wondering what it takes to become a Swine showmanship judge. What you would have to do to become a judge. I can still show for two more years in my county but I would like to continue and be able to judge a showmanship class. Thanks

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: How to become a Judge

Post by Norm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:16 am

To become a competant showmanship judge, I believe you need three key attributes. First, you need to develop your showmanship skills to the best of your abilty. You should be able to show any pig, any where, anytime, with a whip, pipe, cane, or whatever they hand you. Next, you need to have public speaking/presentation skills for giving reasons on the microphone. Placings can be very difficult, but if you can give accurate and articulate reasons, even Grandma in the top row of the bleachers will understand how you placed the class. Finally, you need eyes in the back of your head. When judging a class, it is challenging to see everything at once, but that doesn't mean you can't know what happened when you were not looking.

My recommendations to develop these skills are as follows. Show or watch shows more often and pay attention to the judge for preferred style, terminolgy, and presentations skills. Practice with your own animals to DOMINATE your specific show when you do compete. Find some one to coach, showmanship is as much about teaching as it is a demonstration of skill. If your student does well, folks will notice. Joining a judging team can also help with the presentation skills.

I hope you accomplish your goals and wish you the best of luck.