Stubborn York

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
Victor1369

Stubborn York

Post by Victor1369 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 am

I have a 240 York that won't want to corporate me with I bring her into the small pen we have to practice but all she doesn't is run from she anytime I try to direct her with my whip she just ignores it and keeps walking i also tried switching to a show stick but she doesn't respond with it either. When ever I try showing her she speeds up ahead of me also this is my first time showing and fair is in about a week 1/2 need help!!!

Windfall Farm
Power User
Power User

Re: Stubborn York

Post by Windfall Farm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:11 pm

She may just need to get her energy out first, try her in a larger pen, let her run around for a while then approach her slowly, (remember when you get to the fair any pig even one that's been trained to walk since it was 60 lbs can go wild when it gets to the showring, best thing to do is to try to keep her moving that way she is less likely to start fighting with other pigs in her class)gilts can be tough especially at her weight,she may be coming into her first heat and she'll be very stubborn if she is, if you have another pig that's going to the fair and it's a barrow,you may want to use him for the showmanship competition over the gilt,(don't stress though showmanship is 70%you 30% pig ,type classes are all the pig's build muscle style ect.)good luck at the show

cracklethepiglet
Power User
Power User

Post by cracklethepiglet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:18 pm

First of all, use the show stick you're most comfortable using. My preference is the whip, but use whatever works for you. I had a york this past year. She was a pain whenever I practiced with her, but then I go to the fair and she cooperated in the show ring! When the gilt tries to run away from you, try getting the whip under their head. This will slow them down. In other words, try to get her head up when she speeds up. Tap the side of her belly to make her go forward. If she doesn't listen, hit her a little harder until she listens. It's very important though to not make marks/bruises on your pig - it can bruise their meat. Good luck at the fair! :D
Crackle the Piglet :D

Victor1369

Post by Victor1369 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:21 am

Thank you I'll see if that helps