New pig shower

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
flogrowndarlin01

New pig shower

Post by flogrowndarlin01 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Hello!

I`ll be getting my first market hog for youth fair in winter in September. I have a few questions.

- How old should they be, and how much should they weigh in Sept?
- Other than the pig stick, what other supplies should I have at home?
- What should I take with me to fair? Cannot use oil based products or medications.

Thank you!

carpspigs
Power User
Power User

Re: New pig shower

Post by carpspigs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:57 pm

when is your fair? you will want your pigs to be 6 month old or so

llhorseygal61
Power User
Power User

Post by llhorseygal61 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Make sure your pigs is from a reputable breeder sometimes you can go to Fair now and see what's winning sometimes you can get a great recommendation from the higher placing Hogs I want to make sure your Hog has a line down its back and a deep must a deep indent br the tail head between the hams. Make sure you get a reputable breeder because some people out there we'll just tell you have to sell it and it won't won't make weight make sure your pig is 6 months old at your fair at least you also need to make sure your pig has high quality feed. if you go to the fair you can talk to the kids or the parents and usually they can recommend good breeders.

Windfall Farm
Power User
Power User

Post by Windfall Farm » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Flo,here's a small list of the items you'll need at the show, cane or a show whip, hard bristle brush kept in your back pocket during the show(use it immediately if the judge touches your hog, feed pan,check with fair see if they supply a watering system for all the pigs (if not build a nipple waterer out of a piece of pvc large like 8 to 12 in.),hair clippers (body clip pig about 3 weeks before the show), razors and shaving cream(shave his ears,belly,and tail leave the switch),baby wipes for ears and face, clear nail polish for hooves,baby powder if it's a white pig for stains,get a good livestock soap too

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Windfall Farm wrote: hard bristle brush kept in your back pocket during the show(use it immediately if the judge touches your hog,
Windfall Farms - we are new to this. Why would you use the brush immediately after the judge touches the hog? TY in advance.

Windfall Farm
Power User
Power User

Post by Windfall Farm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Arcadia, you would do this because the judge sometimes may use this in a showmanship show to determine placement between you and other competition, (more or less to see who is paying attention in the show) if he or she touches your animal get the brush out while their still looking at your pig ,trust me there's a reason