Skin Conditioning for scrapes/cuts/marks

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
Arcadia

Skin Conditioning for scrapes/cuts/marks

Post by Arcadia » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:51 pm

Hello,

This is our second year of showing and we live in FLorida. (HOT all the time)
We just picked up our Hamshire and even tho the facility was very nice he has a lot of scrape marks/cuts & a few bite marks on one ear. All of this is on his black parts. What can I do to improve this? I'm new - so if daily/weekly - please let me know. Please keep in mind I am in Florida and it's very hot and sunny so something oil based will make his white parts sunburn.

Also, will the judge not score your Hampshire as well if the white parts on the back develop black freckles? Mine got sunburned last year and this happened. Just curious if that affects judging.

Arcadia

Re: Skin Conditioning for scrapes/cuts/marks

Post by Arcadia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Anyone?

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:26 pm

There's nothing really you can do,they have to heal on their own. If the cuts are deep I would put some Swat on it too keep the bugs away. Good luck :D

apalizay8
Power User
Power User

Post by apalizay8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

My guess is litters may have been mixed and they where fighting a little bit. How deep are the cuts and how long do you have until fair. My opinion is they should heal on their own as long as they are not deep wounds.