Cracked Dew Claw

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
dahmscor

Cracked Dew Claw

Post by dahmscor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:09 am

This is our first year in showing pigs and we have a barrow that has a limp on his front right leg. He is sound in every other way with no issues. Laid him down yesterday and noticed he has a split in his dew claw that is sore which I assume is causing the pain.

Is there any products available that aid in hoof growth or injuries. Not sure how it split if the the bedding is too wet or too dry. We bed him daily with sawdust to keep the pen dry. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Re: Cracked Dew Claw

Post by BerkBabe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Is his hoof/leg swollen? You might need an antibiotic to treat an infection. Banamine would help with inflammation as well.

With a recent foot infection I've had, my pig had a swollen and cracked hoof, and she was limping. I soaked the foot in Epsom Salts each day. She had an infection so we also administered a couple rounds of Excede before she finally got over it. Pen rest and keeping the foot dry is also important.

rider400

Re: Cracked Dew Claw

Post by rider400 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 pm

We used Sullivan's Sole Paint for the sole of the foot to help with a mangled/torn heel. We have concrete floors, pig walked on asphalt, and sandy arena. My son walked him 3x a day. I believe this is what caused the pad to get injured. Sole paint has been effective in terms of helping the pad dry out and heal.

We also noticed a crack in his hoof. This is treated with hooflex. We also used superglue with baking soda on the crack to prevent further splitting of the hoof. This combination is working.

Our pig is now walking without favoring his legs and will stand rather than sit to avoid pain. For show, we plan to use Icy Hot with Lidocaine to help with any residual pain he might have after walking.

Note: Wear gloves to apply sole paint and only use it on the pad of the foot.