Pink Pig Turning Red!

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
SeeingSpots

Pink Pig Turning Red!

Post by SeeingSpots » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:41 pm

We bought a York for my daughter to show, but we're not sure what feed/supplements he was on previously. At her first show, he would turn bright red anytime he was bumped! I know pink pigs "mark" easily, but even something as gentle as wiping fresh manure off his rear with a baby wipe (just wiping, no scrubbing or rubbing!) caused his bottom to turn a horrid angry red almost immediately. A hard pat (not a hit) to get him to stand up left a very outlined and visible handprint on his shoulder. The redness would fade after about 10 or 15 minutes, so it doesn't become a bruise or anything, but she went into the ring with a nice pink pig and left with a pig that looked like it had been beaten, and then it just got worse throughout the day with each prep and each show.

Does anybody know what could be causing this high vascularity response? And how to prevent or counteract this? Could it be something they were feeding him? He was kept indoors, so he's not sunburned (although he had been burned a little at one point a while back, but there are no scabs or peeling skin or anything of that nature). He doesn't seem to be tender or overly sensitive, so I don't think it's hurting him but it looks TERRIBLE. Not just in the showring, but he looks like he's been badly abused even after minimal handling and prep. :( We're new to the pig world, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

brooklyn_p12

Re: Pink Pig Turning Red!

Post by brooklyn_p12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:35 pm

He could me midly stressing. If that is the case, just make sure to take everything slow in a new enviroment.

As far as products, Sullivan Supply has a product called White Out that can be used to whiten on show day. That might help.

Unfortunately, some pigs just mark not easily than others