Hi there! New to pigs, new to ag, first year FFA.
Fair is in one month!! And my pig is still not walking nicely. I’ve been trying to work with her, but to no avail.
- whenever I take her outside, whether in the back(fully enclosed pen) or the front (not enclosed), she just wants to do what she wants to do. Does not matter where I want her to go. But she can’t go where she wants to go. She wants to go in the giant mud/manure pit, that is deeper than a never ending pothole, so not safe for her. She wants to go down to the giant fields where I know she’ll never come back from. She wants to go down the street.
- she doesn’t really listen to the whip, and I Don’t wanna be hard handed with her
- she just wants to eat food and root on her own time and agenda
- anytime a sow/gilt gets out, they eventually go to her and start fighting, so now she’s been in two fights and has some scars
- she never wants to go back in her pen from the front
- she doesn’t like marshmallows AT ALL
- I can’t go out for 3 hours with her every day like everything I read/watch says to do. She’s at my advisor’s farm, and I go 3-4 days a week
I’m sorry if this is a lot and sounds like i’m whining. I just really like her and want to be successful in the ring. I have no prior experience with pigs, so I have no idea what to do. Pretty much all of my other peers are new like me, my advisor doesn’t really know what to do, and I Don’t know anyone else who shows pigs.
What can I do? Thank you so much!!
Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Last edited by Moose—.— on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.