Sticks?

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
cmariah333

Sticks?

Post by cmariah333 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:29 pm

I use a pipe. At my county 4-H show I was in senior showmanship. This is the first year that I did not go to the final round. I was watching the final round and everyone was using a whip. Is that what judges prefer now or is there an even better stick. Up for any suggestions or input.

Thanks!

djhuff

Post by djhuff » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:51 am

the judge at our show said that whatever you feel most comfortable with. I personally like the pipe.

Frito

sticks

Post by Frito » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:09 pm

I use the whip at my county and the smaller rings, but when I get to the state fair and the bigger rings I use the Pipe.Use whatever you feel comfortable with!

boxerluver

Post by boxerluver » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:23 pm

I have all of them and then before the show around here we always have a meeting before we go out and I get the judges opinion...then I use what she/ he wants...

okie

Post by okie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 pm

I honestly rather see people show with a nice whip. I prefer the white handled ones with the chrome ball end. They also arent going to break as easy as one of those thin Showtec pipes. However, show with what you walk them with at home. It does and will make a difference on how the animal will drive for you. Most judges dont have a problem with sticks but I havent met a judge yet that doesnt like whips. Do not change what you show with once you start walking them though.

joshp

Post by joshp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:09 pm

i think you have more control with a pipe, but if you have the pig working great before fair, i usually use a whip b/c it looks like i dont have to put too much effort to show my pig and i have been working with it propr to show

YontzFamil

pipes vs whips

Post by YontzFamil » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:16 am

I'm with Okie on this one. Use what you have been using. My kids all use whips, and with the work they put in ahead of time, they can just put it in front of an eye and don't have to hardly touch the hog. My kids made honor group everytime they showed, and my daughter won her division at county.
I have seen hogs drive different when they are used to a whip and someone uses a pipe. This happened to my son a couple years ago, judge had all the kids switch, no one switched driving tools, and the kid driving my sons hog with a pipe had a hard time.
Go with what you use all the time. And good luck. :-)

Johanna

Sticks?

Post by Johanna » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm

That brings up a question - if the judge asks the exhibitors to switch hogs in a showmanship class, should the exhibitor use the equipment (stick/whip) he's comfortable with, or switch with the other exhibitor so the hogs are comfortable with the tool if they are different?
<em>Johanna</em>

okie

Post by okie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 pm

If possible, switch whips aswell. The hogs need the same whip, not you.

farmgal

Post by farmgal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:13 am

I perfer the pipe, i feel i have more control. Although i think it depends on the animal. i actually have a hog that works better with a whip then she does with a pipe.

4-H_Kid07

Post by 4-H_Kid07 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:43 pm

I use a cane. I asked the judge at my county fair after the showmanship which her perfers and he said what ever you are comfterable(spelling) with. And last year I got first place.
~To <strong>WIN </strong>in the Show Ring...You Gotta <strong>WORK </strong>in the Arena~

GirlzNPigz08

Post by GirlzNPigz08 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:21 pm

4-H_Kid07 wrote:I use a cane. I asked the judge at my county fair after the showmanship which her perfers and he said what ever you are comfterable(spelling) with. And last year I got first place.
YEAh i totally agree about bein comfortable....but whips look better

maxwellfarm07

Post by maxwellfarm07 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:56 pm

call me old fassion but i use a cane the same way my grampa did when he used to show hogs. but i to agree, use what you like

ItsDurocTime

Post by ItsDurocTime » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 am

you want to use something that will get the pig going.
something aggressive, but something that won't harm the hog (i use whips)

P.S.- for all of you that think that if you use a neon pipe to get the judges attention works, please stop. too many people do it now, and it gets annoying because you literally can't see because of the overwhelming glow in the arena :lol:

but seriously-when you train a pig, use the same thing thereonout. as stated earlier, the pig has to be comfortable, not you.

ben89

Post by ben89 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:43 am

use whatever you feel i s best for you and your hog ive saw a kid use a pipe with one hog and the next class use a whip with a diffrent hog