Show...Pointers?

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
4-H_Kid07

Show...Pointers?

Post by 4-H_Kid07 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:33 pm

Hey. This will be my second year showing. Can anyone give me any pointers?Tips? Ect. I got firs place last year in showmanship. But that was Novice Showmanship. This year I will be in Senior Showmanship.
~To <strong>WIN </strong>in the Show Ring...You Gotta <strong>WORK </strong>in the Arena~

ThePigGuy34
Power User
Power User

Post by ThePigGuy34 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 pm

How could you go from novice to Senior? Wouldnt you show at the Intermediate Level?

4-H_Kid07

Post by 4-H_Kid07 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:21 pm

No because I am going to be 15 at the fair. I was 14 at the fair last year. And is dont help that I am born the week of the fair. The fair is July 16-22. I am born July 19.
~To <strong>WIN </strong>in the Show Ring...You Gotta <strong>WORK </strong>in the Arena~

ThePigGuy34
Power User
Power User

Post by ThePigGuy34 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 pm

Oh I see. Well it would take a while to explain everything you could do right in the show ring, the only thing i could say is watch older kids show and learn from them.

tlp
Power User
Power User

Post by tlp » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

4H kid- Do a search on here on "showmanship". Also, your question has been asked on breedersworld.com several times with some good answers. Try that and see if it helps.

JOEPigMan

Advice

Post by JOEPigMan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:05 am

The best advice I could give you would be to get to now your pigs and understand there additude. Every pig has an additude you just need to understand it and be patient. The key factor in every successful showman is his high lebel of patients. Good Luck!!!

DUROCCHAMP

Post by DUROCCHAMP » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 pm

work that pig every nite pick an object in the yard and do these,
practice keeping iye contact
get your own confidence look like your a winner
stay infront of the judge at all times
point your stick at your hog makeit at obvious as possible
practice sample questions that the judge may ask you with someone your not comferateable with

then just stand by the ring side and watch all the age groups to see what in paticular he wants to make your praformance top notch

i have had great success with this in the past

Dapig444

Post by Dapig444 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:40 am

the main things you have to do keep eye contact with the judge work your pig as much as you can stay calm if your pig gos nuts in the the show ring it happens to everyone on ohh and make sure that the pig is always betwween you and the judge and if he touches your pig afer he is done begin to brush your pig were he touched it for a second or two every thing i told you has helped me in the past and i hope it works for you

piggysmine09

Post by piggysmine09 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:28 am

Have a brush and a rag . Slow as possible . I put my hand out . I dont know why , but that is waht gets me the good places i get . Stare at the judge . If you are on the fence do not beat your hog . If you do hit your hog hard with the whip make sure the judge isn't looking . this is my second year too . And i have already got first , second , third , first and fourth in Showmanship
Showmanshipmaster09