I'm new to FFA so i need some suggestions

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
New-to-FFA

I'm new to FFA so i need some suggestions

Post by New-to-FFA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:09 pm

Hey everyone! I am a freshman and have started FFA, i am wanting to raise a crossbred. I was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions on how to train, act in the ring, and also how to pick out a deseant pig.

Thnks ahead of time,
New-to-FFA

Cory

Post by Cory » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:16 pm

ive been in FFA for 3 years and theres so much more to it than showing animals. granted that is a plus, you can meet so many people its mind boggling. now to get to your questions. i cant help ya RAISE any pigs, my brother and i are trying for the first time this year to breed some gilts but i can help you pick out a good pig. im kinda biais when it comes to this but i find that a red, spot, or poland is not my first choice to a great SHOW pig. dont get me wrong theyre nice maternally just not show quality. i find them too soogy with not as much muscle definition. i would probably start with a pig that has some york or hamp in her. when you pick out a pig you want to see if they can walk. simple question but important. you want lenght of body. thats preety simple. another is muscle. this is a big one. rarely do you see a pig win with little muscle. the way you tell is do the pigs have a dimple below their tail. the bigger the dimple, the more muscle. another way is to see if they have folds or creases in their hams. another way is to look for a crease down their back. you also like to see some width down their top and base. simply how far apart do thier legs set. if legs rub when they walk, not good. however if you choose a pig thats super wide, i find you suffer some length. basically you want the best combo. structure is also a need. when pigs are super wide they tend to move alittle stiff or restricted. you can see this when they walk if they trow thier back legs or do they seem sound. you want a free moving hog. also its not to good if you can see every rib in a pig. generally you see this is really heavy muscled pigs. they are freaks. you need a deep bodied pig that has some softness to them. not hard like a rock. rib shape is another big one. this is hard to explain but if you have experience with cattle they call them tight or shallow ribbed. they kind of have a flat look to them. you dont want flat if that helps. level top is another trait. you dont want a humped back pig. also look at thier tail. is high or low on their rump. you want it high. if it is super low thats called steep through the rump. a nice level top is ideal. so length, muscle, width, rib shape, structure and levelness through rump and top are all a good start to having a good pig. when you show i find it easy to hold your whip like a pencil. nice and free. OCASSIONALLY tapping the pig in the jowls or the chin to get it to where you want to go. also look at the judge. never lose him. make some eye contact and smile. look like your havin fun. slouch slightly not much but some. stay by the loin are of the pig. if you want to stop it, stand in front and let it nibble on your toes. well thats all i really know. i hope this helps.
"He who fishes the most, catches the most."