New here - calmer question

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
igottadash

New here - calmer question

Post by igottadash » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 pm

I have spent a number of weeks reading these forums and have learned quite a bit. I hope I'm in the right forum to ask this question.

I'm confused about calming agents. My question is specifically about the products cattle calm vs. pig calm (both from Sullivan's). Do either work just as well? If cattle calm works better (which some posters have said) how much is given to a pig? Iv'e read a number of opinions on this site but no dosage for the cattle calm. We have a York gilt who thinks she's a Thoroughbred and thus far is only gaining endurance. My daughter is showing for the first time this year, 2 shows, and I'd like to take the edge off my race pig :P for their first show and see if that helps. I would like opinions on both re: suitability for a hard headed gilt with wheels :) and dosages for the cattle calm if it's appropriate for use as well.

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Re: New here - calmer question

Post by futurepigbreeder » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:55 am

don't use cattle calm, just don't do it. use the pig calm. Sullivan supply is a really good product and will calm her down my first gilt liked to run too. she spent the whole time in the showring running if yours does this DO NOT RUN AFTER IT I followed my pig slowly and the judge commented on that. as for the cattle calm don't use it. the pig calms stronger than you think and cattle calm is made specially for cattle. also teach your pig to stop or slow down by putting your whip/pipe in front of his face. Good luck :D :D :D

igottadash

Post by igottadash » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Thank you - we'll purchase the pig calmer.

She has been working with her extensively and does not chase her, she keeps her cool here at home, it has passed the point of funny though, and I needed to look towards some solutions come her first show day. This pig just has Triple Crown dreams. :)

Thanks for your help!

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:57 am

your welcome good luck :D