show tips/help

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
Coonsmen

show tips/help

Post by Coonsmen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Couple questions I have regarding two hogs I am going to show next week.
One is a spot boar i have. When I get him out to drive him around he walks at a very quick trot. I have tried wearing him down but still walks to quick to look good. Is there any way you guys have found to make them slow their pace.

The second is a duroc gilt. When she hold her head up she looks like a million buck but she loves to hold her head down. I need help to make her hold her head up.
Any help on both would be great!!
Jss

Gilbertowner
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: show tips/help

Post by Gilbertowner » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 am

Gilt - move her feeder up higher and if she drink off a nipple move it higher too. Get in the habit of walking with her closer to her front shoulder and use the whip or pipe to get her to mover her head up.

Maybe use the claming show paste on him. But never it used ourselves and some of the other kids said that it has the reverse effect on their pigs. So use it at home and see how he dose.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Norm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Your boars' behavior is typical for boars that aren't fat or full enough. He's looking for a girlfriend or a fight. With the gilt, you'll have to stay close to her and be a little heavier with your motivator. Usually, using a pipe behind the elbow or on her jowl puts more motor into down headed pigs. Love tapping with a whip will not get her attention.

Coonsmen

Post by Coonsmen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks alot guys.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

It is harder for that boar to get up to the speed he wants to travel if you keep him turning and then use your panel to slow him when you need to drive him straight.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

BlueButtgirl

Post by BlueButtgirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm no expert, but when my pigs start going faster than I want them to, I'll trot up next to them (near their heads) and show them my cane. They usually slow down after that. This may be, because when the end up trotting they are generally trying to get away from me (and therefore the cane) and want to go back into their pen, but it's worth a try! Hope that helps! :D
"I'm a country girl. I want my drinks strong, my cowboy stronger and I know my God is strongest."

Coonsmen

Post by Coonsmen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone fir your help!!!