Light constantly on in pens

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
gizmo

Light constantly on in pens

Post by gizmo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:07 am

In the stall next to my daughters pen, the owners have a bright light that is always on. Does it matter that her pigs never have any darkness?

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Light constantly on in pens

Post by mtbkmom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Have been in barns with cold air just whipping through and all the pigs had heat lamps on 24/7. That didn't seem to bother their growth velocity (presumably related to altered sleep).

What will screw up a pig more than anything in a 24 hr cycle is inconsistent feeding times. You can just look down the barn and pick out the pigs fed on the clock (7/7 or 8/8---to include weekends). If they can't figure when to eat they can't figure when to rest in between and they pace and scream whenever they hear someone pouring feed. So in the long run they have altered sleep periods because they can't figure when to to eat and when to sleep.

Lighting is a mute point I think for Showpigs. Lighting is an issue with getting sows/gilts to cycle with less light in the falling months and in those cases more lighting is more and a good thing.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

SwinePro
Power User
Power User

Re: Light constantly on in pens

Post by SwinePro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Constant light is no concern.However, it is also no benefit for growing pigs.