PLease help

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
Showpig Babe

PLease help

Post by Showpig Babe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm

My daughters show pig had to have surgery in order to be castrated which was almost three weeks ago, he was considered a double crip! Every since he had his surgery we can not get him to eat! He drinks lots of water, we have given Gatorade, yogurt, milk replacement and he will usually drink most of the milk but will not eat food!!! He is literally starving to death and withering away! This is breaking my heart! The vet has proscribed us medication to treat ulcers but I’m still not sure if this will work. If any one has somthing they can tell us to help any and all would be greatly appreciated

MObreeder0221
Power User
Power User

Re: PLease help

Post by MObreeder0221 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 am

You might give him a shot of dex and B12 to increase appetite. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Showpig Babe

Post by Showpig Babe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you but we have tried that already! We are starting to think the vet did somthing during surgery and he may end up not making it! Happy thanksgiving to you too

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Any swelling or redness at the site of the surgery?

Ulcers are not as common in small pigs as older pigs in my experience but can't hurt to treat.

What does the pigs stools look like? Runny, solid, dark black or brown?

Using any injectable antibiotics? If not, I would start quickly.

Lastly, not being critical but must ask why you would buy a pig with two retained festivals?

Showpig Babe

Post by Showpig Babe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:06 pm

No swelling at the surgery site!

We are treating for ulcers now!

Pig stool has been very little and usually normal but very small amount

He has been on antibiotics, injections

And we did not know he had trsticals that were restrain! He was not old enough for them to have dropped for us to have known .

We truly believe that somthing happen during surgery and are crossing our fingers that we keep him alive but I’m not sure he is going to make it

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Testicals are visible at birth. I castrate pigs during first processing at two days of age. It is somewhat common for pigs to have a testical located elsewhere than normal.

One simply should mark these pigs - I put an 81 notch in the pig ear - to be sure the animal gets follow up. Never sell these to another unless the issue is fixed as theses pigs will boar up when shown.

Retained testicles can't be seen so for you to have surgery done on the animal and the seller didn't tell you the issue then curious how you know there was an issue.

It is possible the surgery had an issue. Sounds like you are trying very hard to care for the animal.

Showpig Babe

Post by Showpig Babe » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Buckbri- thank you! This is only our second year to show so we are learning! Thank goodness the breeder is willing to buy us another pig! We are trying everything to still keep this pig alive! He is on prescription medication for ulcers and we are feeding him every two hours now by syringe to get food down him! So far so good he is holding down food but this is aweful seeing this poor guy! Thank you all for your help and I will try to keep everyone posted on his progress