Propane heaters

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Propane heaters

Post by Rway » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a 24 x 38 barn with a 8 foot ceiling. Built back in 1950's. Masonary block. I generally put in 14 sows in pens in the barn. Body heat does a good job of keeping most waterlines from freezing (pex lines to stainless steel cups) . I want to put in a wall mounted heater - propane, to add a little additional heat on the cold nights this winter. Plenty of ventilation due to age of barn. I have a 60000 btu LB White that I can install, but I think that it will be too much, plus it needs electric, and I fear it will not be efficient compared to modern heaters. Thinking about a Mr Heater or Themablaster style heater 10,000 btu. Barn just has to be comfortable enough to not freeze pipes. Curious to opinions

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Propane heaters

Post by buckibri » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Lb white heater will work well. Would be better with two installed but one will work.

You will need to add an exhaust fan as well for moisture movement out of building.

Similar circumstances, offering experience.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Propane heaters

Post by Rway » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the response. So far I haven't been able to test how well the new heater works - it hasn't been cold enough. The pig body heat seems to be doing well. The 10000 btu Thermoblaster has not kicked on while I have been in the barn, and the outside temp has been low 30's. I have ceiling fans in the barn to help move the heat since there is no blower on the unit that I am using. The LB White would just be too much and also requires electricity, where the heater I am using requires no electricity. I may feel different when we get some below 0 degree days.

Thanks,
Ed