Troubles with Gilt

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
EnriqueP123

Troubles with Gilt

Post by EnriqueP123 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am

I have a crossbred gilt for the San Angelo gilt Show. But when I try to walk her she always squeals and doesn’t want to work with me. I already gave her Show Pig Paste to calm her down. That didn’t work. I gave her Melatonin and Valerin Root. That didn’t do anything much. She won’t work. I used a pvc pipe so she can work but all she does is run around scared to death when I want to work with her even though I haven’t gone up to her. I’m already out of options. Is there any other way to calm her down? Any stronger supplements to calm her down so I can work with her?

hogger39
Power User
Power User

Re: Troubles with Gilt

Post by hogger39 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

Sounds like you are still at square one. If the pen is pig enough to work her in it, try doing that. Another thing to try is sitting in the pen with her for an hour or so a day. This may make her calmer when you are around her. Put a marshmallow at the end of your whip to coax her to walk. If you have a different place that you can walk her, try doing so. Another key is to not get frustrated around her. Pigs can pick up on your frustration. Its not the best to walk them pigs together, but if that will get her to walk so that you can train her, you may want to try that. Keep working with her. Don't give up on her and keep trying. Good Luck.

EnriqueP123

Re: Troubles with Gilt

Post by EnriqueP123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 am

Okay thanks I’ll do that!