Supplements and mixing

Product information, feeding and nutrition, promotions, and insights from the experts at Purina
madarchery
Power User
Power User

Supplements and mixing

Post by madarchery » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:28 am

4th year in hogs but the first in trying to use supplements instead of just regular honor chow feeds.

When using a supplement such as fitter 35. If you feed 1# a day of fitter, if you use it in replacement of the normal feed you would see the effects of muscle build and fat burn. Now if you add it in addition to the normal base feed would you see a slower or no reduction in fat cover but just added muscle?

I have a set of hogs that are a little loose in the jowl and under side, but the way I like it on top. I went picked up some fitter and I am using it as an addition not a replacement to the 809. We have 30 days to go and our hogs in question are 214-228. Max weigh in is 300 so no concerns here.

Feed so far is
5# 809
16oz DC
8oz fitter 35
This is split between morning and afternoon feedings.

Will be adding ultra full to the ration soon.

I am just looking to define the muscle on a couple and add more ham to the third.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Supplements and mixing

Post by Norm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Expect to see some improvement in muscle tone and trimming them up with the plan you are on. You've got it figured out. May need to increase or decrease the fitter 35 depending on the desired look. Can burn one up if you're not paying attention.