non-additive show

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
cconover12

non-additive show

Post by cconover12 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Our county fair is trying to outlaw the use of genetic feed additives (paylean...) because of the complaints of the packers that we send the pigs to. The penalty for using paylean would be that the kids would not be allowed to sell the pigs in the sale. Now you need to understand that the 4-H kids averaged $70/100wt at the local sale with the champions making well over $1 per pound. We have some pretty good support. Does anybody know any all natural additives that will not hurt the meat or grossly overmuscle the pigs? The advice we are giving our kids is basicly running a 20% protein mix all the way through.
Chris Conover<div>Shady Brook Farm</div>

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by kgb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 pm

One idea is HONOR Champion Drive Topdress. No Paylean, no other drugs. Does a very nice job on skin, hair and wool, and put's shape in the animal's top. All natural.

By the way, Paylean only affects the carcass when insufficient energy is supplemented in the diet. (If you add enough energy...Paylean is fine).
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27

shirlie

Re: non-additive show

Post by shirlie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:35 pm

cconover12 wrote: Now you need to understand that the 4-H kids averaged $70/100wt at the local sale with the champions making well over $1 per pound.
Sorry that I don't have an answer based on experience but I did read about some paylean alternatives. I think there was several and it seems like final secret was one of them. I googled paylean alternative to find them. We haven't tried any and probably won't even end up doing so.

Your post did pump into some gratitude for our 4-H auction here. The average price per pound at the auction was $1.87 last year. The Champion went for $8. a lb., the reserve $4. a lb. My two girls each got $2. a lb (pigs weighed 286 and 255) and the teenage boy got $1.60 for a 276 lb pig. They made a decent amount of money but last year we didn't buy premium feed and didn't have to buy any starter at all. This year with the price increases (pigs were also more), the prospects for making a profit aren't looking as good. Hopefully, the kids will do well with the buyers and end up in the black at least. Our 4-H advisor says that he thinks the economy is going to affect the sale so we will just have to work hard and see how it goes.

I am interested to hear how much other fairs average if anyone wants to bother posting that info.

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Our fair has a very strong boosters organization and corporate support. The average fo the pigs last year was between $3 and $4 per pound. I don't remember how much the champions sold for, but the champion market goat sold for $19 per pound.
Brian

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Our state shows banned Paylean a few years ago because the label did not allow feeding above 240 lbs. The ban was dropped when the label was changed to eliminate the upper weight limit.
One thing we learned from this is that a Paylean ban is hard to enforce. You can test for Paylean, but testing costs money and not every lab gives reliable results. Your show might shy away from a ban for that reason alone.
Is this a carcass quality issue? If so, banning Paylean probably won't fix the problem.
Some shows have improved pork quality by running a carcass contest with substantial premiums. These contests typically require the carcasses to fall within certain parameters (minimum & maximum weight, minimum & maximum backfat, etc) to be eligible. If done right, they also provide a great learning opportunity for youth, parents and leaders.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Our state shows banned Paylean a few years ago because the label did not allow feeding above 240 lbs. The ban was dropped when the label was changed to eliminate the upper weight limit.
One thing we learned from this is that a Paylean ban is hard to enforce. You can test for Paylean, but testing costs money and not every lab gives reliable results. Your show might shy away from a ban for that reason alone.
Is this a carcass quality issue? If so, banning Paylean probably won't fix the problem.
Some shows have improved pork quality by running a carcass contest with substantial premiums. These contests typically require the carcasses to fall within certain parameters (minimum & maximum weight, minimum & maximum backfat, etc) to be eligible. If done right, they also provide a great learning opportunity for youth, parents and leaders.

GlennC

Post by GlennC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Check out

www.finalsecrettexas.com

Look for the secret muscle developer product, works great is all natural and doesn't enhance joint problems.
Contact me in regards to using Final Secret products on swine and other livestock projects. Try one of the newest and hottest supplements on the market. Contact me at glenn@finalsecrettexas.com
CHECK OUT THE NEW WEBSITE AT www.finalsecrettexas.com