Holding

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
dceq36

Holding

Post by dceq36 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:54 am

I have a pig that weighs 220 now and our show is Aug 20th. I can't be over 280 so I need to slow the growth. I am in the Panhandle of Idaho and we don't have access to Powerfil or even Moormans Feeds. I am reading about beet pulp and oats as fillers, but am unclear as to amount to feed and how much of the Nutrena grower to I keep feeding. Showpigs are not a big thing here, so are feed options are limited. Heck, we only got Paylean offered to us 3 or 4 years ago! Thanks for your help.

GlennC

Post by GlennC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:45 am

Main thing in slowing growth is not to lose bloom and muscle definition.

Powerfill works great in that aspect and KGB can lend more advice on this complete holding feed.

If you can get it where you at, look into a product called secret shake for pigs. It is a topdress that can be added to the feed ration to help maintain muscle freshness and bloom while holding/slowing rate of gain. Works well by cutting back total feed ration and supplementing with this topdress.

Beet pulp and oat groats are used for fill and help the pig feel full while not getting as much feed. I prefer a mixture of the two, along with your feed and secret shake for pigs.

Check out the product at

www.finalsecrettexas.com
Contact me in regards to using Final Secret products on swine and other livestock projects. Try one of the newest and hottest supplements on the market. Contact me at glenn@finalsecrettexas.com
CHECK OUT THE NEW WEBSITE AT www.finalsecrettexas.com