Need as much weight as possible..

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
HOGMAN632

Post by HOGMAN632 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm

well they slowed down on thier gains... Wed. night they were 253 & 263.. They slowed from 3 & 3.5 lbs gain a day to 2 lbs.. The one still on paylean is getting a better butt, and fuller top, which he was lacking..

The one that was locking up, has stopped doing so. He WILL NOT eat or drink cake mix, soyoil, vegetable oil, milk replacer, 4-sure or ice cream..
He also don't eat the same feed he was on before the paylean.. So far I've found he will eat a 14% grower/finisher, and soaked corn.. That's pretty much all he will eat. He only gained 8 lbs in 4 days, but so did the other one..

I've been walking him between an 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile a day since sunday.. Now when I put him back in the pen, he's panting pretty hard, but he doesn't act up.. He just lays down for a bit then gets up and gets a drink, then goes to eating...

Now I feel he needs a little more cover and a more filled out side. His muscles are popping hard, and he's a little flat in the side..

How do I get these results when he won't eat the things listed above??

Thanks

James

hampy622
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by hampy622 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:26 am

what are you feeding now. 8lbs in 4 days is a pretty good gain it 2lbs per day.

HOGMAN632

Post by HOGMAN632 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm feeding a 14% finisher, and soaked corn. Using corn as added fat, since he won't eat anything else..

hampy622
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by hampy622 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:25 pm

might want to lower the fat might be getting so much energy. I would feed 18% feed with powerfill and slop it up with a electrolyte or gatorade poweder.

HOGMAN632

Post by HOGMAN632 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Well guys, I ended up not taking the one that acted up on the paylean. With only the few things he would eat and time restraints until the show, he had burned off a good bit of his cover.. I took the other one that did fine on paylean.. He was in the top 16 out of 60 hogs.. Eric Polich and John Huinker were the judges.. Eric sent him straight through to John (toward the trailer). However John looked at him and kept him in his little ring for a long time. He would look at him, then look at the next hog coming in, then send that hog to the trailer. He sent around 20-25 hogs to the trailer while keeping mine in his ring. It was as if he were using my hog as a measuring stick for the others.. After about 10 minutes he finally put him out in the big ring with the other top hogs.. Then he and Eric went out and finalized the top 10.. Needless to say he was one of the six remaining after the top ten was chosen.. He could've done as good as 11th or been 16th.. I don't think he done bad at all. This was the kids first big show.. I told him if we could have the judges hold him in there, and not send him straight to the trailer, we would have done good in my opinion.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
James

osage101170
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by osage101170 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Good for you!! In my humble opinion it's more important to learn than win. It seems to me one often leads to the other.