Bladder prolapse during labor

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
MSPR
Power User
Power User

Post by MSPR » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 am

Not my sow and I actually did not see it. A vet was called so I am fairly sure the diagnosis was correct. A full bladder prolapse. 3rd parity sow, she had delivered 14 piglets all alive. Unattended in a free stall situation. The vet said that there was nothing that could be done and the sow was put down.
The question I have is, If the sow had been confined in a crate and a person was able to do the required tail head block to numb the area, can the bladder be re-inverted non surgically?
We have no pig vets here to even ask.
BTW, we fostered the whole litter on a sow that had farrowed 5 days earlier with only 4 pigs and she is now raising 15 altogether with some supplemental milk replacer. A good success rate considering.

DrAmy
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by DrAmy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 am

That would be a really odd and rare occurrance - likely nothing to be done.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm

If the farrowing was unattended, 1) who knows how long the bladder was lying out and 2) there is plenty of "muck" that comes out the vaginal vault with farrowing so even if they could get it reinverted and put back in...3) who knows how damaged it might be (microscopic tears from the babies getting up after delivering and trying to find their momma) and 4) what the "load" of bacteria would be reintroduced back inside the sow.... besides if she survived this procedure.....5) she might do the same thing with the next farrowing.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.